Scoring question - Fielder's Choice or a hit? Earned or unearned run?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... We played a team who had a bad right fielder. My DD hit a towering blast. The RF stood under it, misjudged it, and wiffed on the ball. The next at bat, a lined shot, same outfielder ran a long ways to get near, did not have the coordination, and the ball actually bounced off the top of her head. One is an error, the other is not.

The fact that it hit the fielder (or even the fielder's glove) does not necessarily make it an error. Both of those examples could've been hits. I sure would hate to get hit in the head by a line drive to RF, by the way.

But I get your point, and agree. Over time, they do average out, especially in travel ball, where you might play 50-75 games. Luck is rarely the difference between .400 and .300, or 20 extra-base hits vs. 5, when you're talking 125 at-bats.

Aug 14, 2011
Even when we think a mental error has occurred, you cannot score an error. Errors are only scored on physical errors.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Although from a 14U or older A ball perspective that play is a sign that competition for 2B is wide open!

Official scorer ruling: FC (and E JAD - LOL)

This is why they never let me keep the book.....everyone's fielding percentage would drop .100 points! LOL. And regardless how the play was scored, my 2B would get an earful when they got to the bench!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Over time, they do average out, especially in travel ball, where you might play 50-75 games. Luck is rarely the difference between .400 and .300, or 20 extra-base hits vs. 5, when you're talking 125 at-bats.

I always smile when someone tells me their DD is batting over .400 in A-ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Even when we think a mental error has occurred, you cannot score an error. Errors are only scored on physical errors.

So if 2B fields a ball and throws to 3B instead of 1B, even though there are no runners on base, you are not going to give the 2B an error since it was a mental error instead of a physical error?

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
The fact that it hit the fielder (or even the fielder's glove) does not necessarily make it an error. Both of those examples could've been hits. I sure would hate to get hit in the head by a line drive to RF, by the way.

But I get your point, and agree. Over time, they do average out, especially in travel ball, where you might play 50-75 games. Luck is rarely the difference between .400 and .300, or 20 extra-base hits vs. 5, when you're talking 125 at-bats.

The fewer the at bats, the less the statistics mean. Still, I believe if done well and fairly, they are useful.

Since I am trying to keep score by a set of rules, my stats are sometimes vastly different from what the parents have documented.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So if 2B fields a ball and throws to 3B instead of 1B, even though there are no runners on base, you are not going to give the 2B an error since it was a mental error instead of a physical error?

NCAA rules -

SECTION 22—
No error is charged to a fielder in the following situations:
14.22.2 When there is a mental mistake. Throwing to the
wrong base is considered a mental mistake.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I'm not sure if you charge a hit on that, however. Can you have a fielder's choice when nobody is on base? My guess is that it is not a hit.

I guess I need to make sure my DD does not pitch for a team with a bunch of "mentally challenged" players.......LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG