Science people vs what the eye sees, simpletons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008

Ever see a curveball break 5 feet in the last 1/3 of the pitching distance? I have. It's called a 'Flick cyrve' and when thrown ridiculously slow and released at shoulder heigth, thats what it does. RH pitcher and batter. It is released heading behind the batter, then starts curving in towards the plate. Batter thinks they are going to get hit so they quickly step back out of the bopx. Ball keeps curving and crosses the strike zone. Had a HS sophmore and her PC fly in from Santa Catalina Island. for a weekend. Worked on many thing including that 'Flick curve'. She caught on to it so fast and made it move so muich, it moved WAY more than mine did when I used it. No doubt that everyone would say that one was against the laws of physics too. Two weeks later, she was in the LA papers with it.

Dont have any video of that either, just a few pictures of her and her coach.

Taught a 10 year old how to throw a cutter, she was exceptional when I first met her. With just a bit of practice, she , like the other young lady, threw it WAY better than I ever did. She took a little speed of and it would break so hard it was like it ricocheted off a standing metal pole. It broke at what I would estimate as around a 60-degree angle.. No doubt others will say that was impossible too, especially using the 11" ball.

I have seen many things in pitching that defies what anyone would believe. But these things do happen.

The guys I played against did not like me, I made them look bad. A whole lot of big trophies, plaques and certificates made that easy to live with.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
A rise ball will not break as hard as a slider, curve or drop because it has to work against gravity, but physics certainly says it will rise

Atcually physics says that the human body can not generate enough rotation to overcome the force of gravity and make the ball rise. It can counter some of the affects and allow the ball to drop at a slower rate but it can't actually overcome the weight of the ball and the pull of gravity.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Surely to goodness there are videos of the sideview of a riseball out there so that some of us who do not know what we are talking about can see and measure it. After all, video wasn't created yesterday. I hope some of you veterans will recall the video I referred to with Ssarge. I know that one example he used was Sarah Pauly's rise. I tried to search the older posts but my computer keeps coming back with error messages. Oh and one more thing, some graduate student did an indept study that Ssarge cited and the conclusion was that the best that could be achieved was a "constant" on the angle from release. Again, there should be a lot of scientific info out there that can support the rise of the rise ball if, indeed, it does rise. So it should be easy enough to produce:

• A side view video of a rise ball rising.
  • A scientific study from someone trained in physics to prove why the rise ball rises.

Is that asking too much?

that in depth study was wrong. it was wrong because the force imparted on a ball isn't constant through it's travel. It's delayed. A curve doesn't start curving once it leaves the hand... the break occurs late.

So. Back to what I said. A ball thrown on an incline whose trajectory flattens near the plate when the break occurs, creates the little "hop"

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Atcually physics says that the human body can not generate enough rotation to overcome the force of gravity and make the ball rise. It can counter some of the affects and allow the ball to drop at a slower rate but it can't actually overcome the weight of the ball and the pull of gravity.
where?

and spin isn't the only factor in the equation

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
JD, I once shot a softball through a concrete wall from a Jugs machine and so, perhaps some human can do it but I'm skeptical at best. If you can't see the difference between what a two wheel jugs machine can do and a human arm then really there isn't much for me to add.

Take care,

Darrell

Ahh.. see. why so condescending?

It can rise, right?

Well, once you get past that, they you figure out what it takes to make it happen. It just might be that there is a man or even a woman that had enough velocity and threw it just right to create the hop.

Just closing the mind and saying it's impossible is pure willful ignorance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K4man