Science people vs what the eye sees, simpletons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You'll probably never see it in the game they call Fastball. The ball doesn't travel the distance it used to travel because the pitcher of the last 30 years has been able to start with one foot on the rubber and the back foot as far behind the rubber as needed to leap and replant right on top of the plate and hitter. I'm sure you haven't seen a real man's game of fast pitch from 40 years ago. I get into trouble talking about not liking the changes in the man's game that is almost dead. No videos of 40 years ago that I can find, even if I looked. The answer IS blowing in the wind.

I understand the game .... it happened, trust me .... oh, you want verification .... weeelllll, errrrrr, ummmmm, no no no it's a magical thing ..... you see, the ball defies physics .... after the ball leaves the pitcher's hand it slows down, and just before it reaches it's slowest point, it detects a 'bat' and decides to jump over it ... I don't have video of it, and I have plenty of excuses for why you'll never see video of it .... you see, the same magic inside the ball that detects the presence of a bat and then jumps over it, also detects the presence of a camera and turns off the magic jumping ability.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CoachFP, are you then implying that if a side view was taken of these pitches, then plotted, it would show the ball breaking upward and not in a straight line to slightly declining line from release?

Feb 7, 2013
You'll probably never see it in the game they call Fastball. The ball doesn't travel the distance it used to travel because the pitcher of the last 30 years has been able to start with one foot on the rubber and the back foot as far behind the rubber as needed to leap and replant right on top of the plate and hitter. I'm sure you haven't seen a real man's game of fast pitch from 40 years ago. I get into trouble talking about not liking the changes in the man's game that is almost dead. No videos of 40 years ago that I can find, even if I looked. The answer IS blowing in the wind.

My DD was fortunate enough to spend some time with a hitting instructor (former D1 player and starter for a WCWS championship program). I asked her if she thought a "rise ball" rises (i.e. hops over the bat, bananas up, etc) and she swears it does. She also said that some low rise balls would start out low out of the strike zone but would "rise" into the zone as it reached the plate, for a strike.

For the record, I don't believe her perception is reality. As others have said, because of the tight backspin on the rise ball and the angle of the pitch (going from low hip release to chest high, or higher) it gives the appearance that the ball "rises" compared to all other pitches that have more arc to them. I would guess that most of the D1 pitchers she faced threw their rise balls between 62 - 67mph, no where near the fastest men but again she claims these rise balls did in fact "rise".

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
CoachFP, are you then implying that if a side view was taken of these pitches, then plotted, it would show the ball breaking upward and not in a straight line to slightly declining line from release?

are you suggesting that a riseball cannot rise?

why?

why can the ball break left, right, down, but not up. the reason a ball breaks is due to the location of the area of drag behind the ball. That location is dependent upon the spin.

A rise ball will not break as hard as a slider, curve or drop because it has to work against gravity, but physics certainly says it will rise

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Ostermanriseball.jpg

Scarboroughriseball.gif

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I understand the game .... it happened, trust me .... oh, you want verification .... weeelllll, errrrrr, ummmmm, no no no it's a magical thing ..... you see, the ball defies physics .... after the ball leaves the pitcher's hand it slows down, and just before it reaches it's slowest point, it detects a 'bat' and decides to jump over it ... I don't have video of it, and I have plenty of excuses for why you'll never see video of it .... you see, the same magic inside the ball that detects the presence of a bat and then jumps over it, also detects the presence of a camera and turns off the magic jumping ability.

During the late 70s and 80's I wore a badge and a gun. My department sent to a class once on recognizing people with anger / violence tendencies. An FBI psychologist put the class on. One of the first things he said was, "People of low intelligence ALWAYS attack what they do noy know or understand", he quoted a world famous psychologist but I dont recall the name.

I will not call anyone stupid, like a few ofd the eggheads on this board have done to some. I will say you are uninformed and your lack of experience is showing. Anyone that will refer to a riseball as 'The'' riseball, or in any way speak like there is only one, is very inexperienced.

I have only seen a cut riseball actually rise a hansful of times. It is just a fastball angled high. The bent fiungered riseball, thats a different story.

"Forgive them Lord for they know not of what they speak."

Go watch more games and find a pitcher that throws a bent fingered riseball and witnessit for yourself. Dont wait for me to post a video because even if I did some would say it had been doctored.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1