Scap loading

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
I didn't say that, did I? I just said the scap action loads the rear leg.

I am just using some accepted language in saying the shoulders are bypassed as in they are not responsible for getting the barrel around

If I had to put things in order in would be - pull the hip around the rear leg, lower back and then scap. But, once the scap is pulled back it allows the lower back a greater feeling of pulling back.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Pujols-Albert-2011-Behind-GRD-RFL-Load-Loop.gif

Wright_highback.gif

Thanks to RHC for the gifs.

Jul 20, 2013
The sequence is important.

Hitters need to learn how to use their core and learn how to 'separate' their core from their shoulders. Learn to turn/twist the lower-core without turning the shoulders. It is during this action that a hitter, with an appropriate placed feel-sensor, will feel an increase in ‘scap pressure’.

Money. Right. There.

We teach this without a bat in hand through hundreds of repetitions, DD hates it but we grind this sequencing every single practice, daily if I can force her to lol. If I could re-do DD...I'd spend much more working this sequence when she was 8, just turned 12 and I hope to never letup on refining and keeping this movement pattern as good as it can be.

Jul 26, 2016
I think that using the word scap load would imply that you then eventually unload it. I don't think that is what necessarily happens in the swing. During the circling process the pressure I feel in the scap moves from the top of the scap down the spine. The pinched scap circles....Like RD said I think that Sosa gif shows scap circling and how the missing frames are created......I'm sure what I explained is worded much prettier somewhere else!

So basically it means keep the scap pulled back while the elbow slots/lowers instead of loading the scap and then unload as the elbow goes down (elbow more toward your back muscle rather than toward the hip)?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So basically it means keep the scap pulled back while the elbow slots/lowers instead of loading the scap and then unload as the elbow goes down (elbow more toward your back muscle rather than toward the hip)?

Dom, at what point do you recommend that a hitter pull back their scap? How, and when, does a hitter perform this pull back of the scap? A video of a swing in which the frames of the initial scap pull back occurs would be helpful.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Dom, at what point do you recommend that a hitter pull back their scap? How, and when, does a hitter perform this pull back of the scap? A video of a swing in which the frames of the initial scap pull back occurs would be helpful.

5frames,

You know that the scap can be pinched early in some hitters. In this thread there are two clips of Pujols, clip 1 of the side view shows an earlier scap pinch (we can't see the scap, but it looks like it is loaded] and the one above of Pujols back shows the scap pinching as the hips start (later pinch).

I'll post the two clips,

giphy.gif

The side view is hard to say when the scap is pinched, but it looks earlier then the back view. I have a clip of Arod where the pinch is early, a back view, but it's copyright protected.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
5frames,

You know that the scap can be pinched early in some hitters. In this thread there are two clips of Pujols, clip 1 of the side view shows an earlier scap pinch (we can't see the scap, but it looks like it is loaded] and the one above of Pujols back shows the scap pinching as the hips start (later pinch).

I'll post the two clips,

giphy.gif

The side view is hard to say when the scap is pinched, but it looks earlier then the back view. I have a clip of Arod where the pinch is early, a back view, but it's copyright protected.

Do you believe Pujols is 'actively' pulling back his scap into his spine here? I don't.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Do you believe Pujols is 'actively' pulling back his scap into his spine here? I don't.

In one clip perhaps, the side view, you could say he is pulling back. Although the bat is in a different position. In the side view he is tipping the barrel forward from an un-cocked position.

What about this clip,

giphy.gif

He is starting with the barrel in a similar position and then tips it forward.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Imo most players don't really pull the scap during the stride but load it more up (abduction and scap upward rotation). The elbow doesn't get pulled behind the shoulder line. Then as the body starts to turn and the elbow lowers it "rows back" a little or maybe just stays there passively.

But with most players the elbow doesn't get that far behind the shoulder line.

I have rarely talked about the scap to hitters usually just a little hand cock in the load.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The sequence is important.

Hitters need to learn how to use their core and learn how to 'separate' their core from their shoulders. Learn to turn/twist the lower-core without turning the shoulders. It is during this action that a hitter, with an appropriate placed feel-sensor, will feel an increase in ‘scap pressure’.

This is an area where my DD could use some improvement. Where is this "feel-sensor" located? How you describe it to your hitters?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad