Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
IMO it's not cost-effective to forgo a mask based on the chance that you might be more likely to get a college scholarship without one. The medical bills you might have to pay could far outstrip the value of a scholarship, and if your child is permanently damaged, you'll spend a fortune taking care of her the rest of her life.

Even apart from the anguish...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
You can start with that a mouth guard is not obtrusive and does not hang off your face. :) From the input received from my players yesterday helicopter parents are part of the problem. I have noticed that the same evangelizing found in posts on DFP can be heard at the ball field. In the middle of a practice when Sally transitions from OF to IF and a parent yells "Sally, make sure you go get your mask." you just contributed to the stigma. Now add a "discussion" between the parent and the player when the player protests the parental directive from the stands and things go from bad to worse. You just became "that parent" and your kid is now "that player". Worse yet all the other players wearing masks are now guilty by association. Maybe a bit more discretion and tact is in order. Nagging a young lady in front of her peers about a mask is akin to a baseball mom yelling "Billy, are you wearing your cup?" - a memory that will hopefully fade by the time they graduate from college. Masks are a useful piece of gear but it is not life or death.

I bet if you noticed your kid didn't have a seat belt on you'd mention it to them huh?

It's whatever.. my kid doesn't have to be told to wear her mask..she wants to. Its her choice and people like (maybe) you that look down on her for it don't deter her...she cares more about her face/head than other peoples opinions.

I hope your DD never regrets not wearing one..it happens fast, believe me..

Aug 12, 2014
My DD is playing 10U rec and I make her wear one if she's in the infield or pitching. She's the only one on her team who wears one. On the teams we play, some don't have anyone wearing them, and some have all of their infielders with them. Last season when she was on a different team, one of their pitchers got drilled in the thigh by a line drive (she was wearing a mask). Any issues DD might have had with wearing a mask were gone after that.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Over the last 10 or so years I have seen a major swing in how many girls wear a mask. DD plays class A TB and it is as odd to see a player without a mask as it used to be to see one wearing one. DD has worn one since 8u and it has become just another piece of equipment to her. She refuses to play without it now. She said she just doesn't feel right without it, like something is missing.

I think the more prevalent that they become, the less it will be an issue. I don't think any coach or recruiter will pass on a "stud" player just because they choose to wear protective gear. If she is a weak player then she will be a weak player regardless of what equipment she takes the field with.

Nov 19, 2013
Mass
Over the weekend at a Fall Ball game saw a 14U Rfer' completely misplay a liner and on the hop took it off the face, right between the eyes. Busted her open, but nothing broken...bet she wishes she was wearing one.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Over the weekend at a Fall Ball game saw a 14U Rfer' completely misplay a liner and on the hop took it off the face, right between the eyes. Busted her open, but nothing broken...bet she wishes she was wearing one.

So a player in RF misplayed a ball and got busted up. You surmise that she probably wishes she had worn a mask and not been injured. I imagine that people in a plane crash wished they taken a bus or stayed home. Most likely people in a hospital wish they were not sick. And going out on a limb, but people in hell probably wish they had ice water. What am I missing here?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So a player in RF misplayed a ball and got busted up. You surmise that she probably wishes she had worn a mask and not been injured.
Yeah, she probably wished she had a mask on when you misplayed the ball.
I imagine that people in a plane crash wished they taken a bus or stayed home.
Yeah, I know I would be wishing that.
Most likely people in a hospital wish they were not sick
Again yeah.
And going out on a limb, but people in hell probably wish they had ice water.
I'll have to take you're word on this because I'm an....
0015.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Out in left field,
I totally agree with you. I too never wore a mask...
lol.jpg~c200

And I'll be darn if I will make my DD wear a mask either.
I joke. Decision is up to the parents and child.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I just do get the morbid obsession that some seem to demonstrate regrading the subject.

At a 10U tournament last weekend and saw a kid take a shot to the face. No time to react. Brains and blood splattered across the field. Now will live life as a vegetable. Check out these before and after photos! I am sure they will wear a mask next time!

Thank you Captain Obvious!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG