Saw the top-ranked 2027 player this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
What HS season goes three months? The ones I referenced took place over a span of 45 days. Maybe Florida can get away with spreading their season out that much because of the weather, but up here in NY, our first game was March 30th, and our final regular season game was May 12th. In that timeframe, we had 19 games in 45 days. My HS team had 5 games in 7 days, of which my daughter was forced to throw in all five, including two back-to-backs.
Florida started in February 21st I believe, and state playoffs are going on now. Florida also requires arm care work starting the first two weeks of February. Most high schools will play two games a week unless there is a tournament going in. Total games are limited to 21 or 22 games in the regular season.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2019
I agree that there needs to be more diligence regarding overuse of these kids. But particularly in practice sessions, 100 or so pitches seems pretty low. 100 pitches doesn't seem to be enough to really ingrain a pattern if a kid has 4 pitches to work on. How would a new pitch be developed while keeping on top of your other pitches in less than 25 a day?

Jun 8, 2016
I agree that there needs to be more diligence regarding overuse of these kids. But particularly in practice sessions, 100 or so pitches seems pretty low. 100 pitches doesn't seem to be enough to really ingrain a pattern if a kid has 4 pitches to work on. How would a new pitch be developed while keeping on top of your other pitches in less than 25 a day?
I think it is 100 something per day. I am not saying this is right, I tend to agree with @CoachJD with regards to finding a better way of figuring out what a good number is (although I doubt that number would be 300+ game pitches..)

Also game pitches are not the same as practice pitches. Cortisol has a negative effect on how the body reacts to physical stress.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
The days of riding one pitcher into the ground are going away. Gtrips posted a link to an article about how it is changing, referencing Florida State as leading the charge. A simple glance at FSU's pitching stats shows Sandercock throwing 164 innings this season out of 398 for the team.
I think the mid-major teams may be forced to ride a pitcher more than the Power 5 schools because they don't get the top players in their recruiting classes, though. There's a pronounced drop-off between their #1 and the rest of the staff.
OU is the same way, they can roll three or four deep.

I think the NCAA change of the WCWS schedule now allows teams with only one main pitcher (Bama this year) to roll deeper in the playoffs as you have a lot less two games in a day. This seems counterintuitive to making teams have more than one pitcher.

On the high school front, at least in Florida, you still have teams that throw one main pitcher and do little to get others time. If you look at Pace, for example, Heavener's team has run ruled quite a few teams. Would have to dig into the details but it seems like a lot of garbage inning time could have been had by others on the staff.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018

We don't work on more than two pitches in a day for that exact reason. So today we might practice curve and rise. Day rest, then work on drop and screw, etc.

Learning a new pitch? Work on only that pitch that day.

Feb 24, 2022
I've always wondered what it would be like to see a top tier prospect. We play on a fairly strong regional A level team in the Northeast. We are not going to Colorado or Georgia for tournaments. In all of the years my daughter has been playing ball, I've seen 2 girls that I thought have D1 talent (or what I think is D1 talent). Both pitchers - one a 2027, that has since moved on to the National team for her organization. The other a 2028, who is throwing 60 at 12u. I'd love to see a D1 prospect position player, just to see if they would stand out to me - not a Jocelyn Alo type, but a middle of the pack D1 player.

Jun 8, 2016
I've always wondered what it would be like to see a top tier prospect. We play on a fairly strong regional A level team in the Northeast. We are not going to Colorado or Georgia for tournaments. In all of the years my daughter has been playing ball, I've seen 2 girls that I thought have D1 talent (or what I think is D1 talent). Both pitchers - one a 2027, that has since moved on to the National team for her organization. The other a 2028, who is throwing 60 at 12u. I'd love to see a D1 prospect position player, just to see if they would stand out to me - not a Jocelyn Alo type, but a middle of the pack D1 player.
If you are talking about 2027's/2028's it is probably going to be hard to figure out who is going to be a mid-major type kid at that age. The Jocelyn Alo types are probably easier to predict..

Feb 24, 2022
If you are talking about 2027's/2028's it is probably going to be hard to figure out who is going to be a mid-major type kid at that age. The Jocelyn Alo types are probably easier to predict..
Good to know. I guess I just figured that those type of players would be easy to spot by 14u - especially when you heard stories of 12-14 year olds getting scholarship offers before they changed the rules.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13