Saw the top-ranked 2027 player this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Older pitchers:

Once they get to college they will need to be able to throw 7 inning games and then some relief. Lots of pitchers will need to throw one 7 inning game on Friday and then another the next day. At least your #1. Numbers 2 and 3 will get spot starts and crossing fingers will be able to eat up innings. Some of the better programs won't have that problem, but once they get to the Regionals coaches will ride their #1. They are already exhausted.
None of those scenarios are 300+ (game) pitches in a day. A good night's sleep is restorative..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
None of those scenarios are 300+ (game) pitches in a day. A good night's sleep is restorative..
Yeah, but they are not 100%. In HS they will pitch on a Tuesday and Friday, at least they get several days of rest. And TB they get 5 days of rest between games except weekday lessons and bull pens.

Dec 2, 2019
My daughter plays 10u and there are a couple teams they play that will ride one pitcher the majority of the tournament. I don't know about damage to their arms, but one girl now wears a knee brace that she didn't wear in the fall.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, but they are not 100%. In HS they will pitch on a Tuesday and Friday, at least they get several days of rest. And TB they get 5 days of rest between games except weekday lessons and bull pens.
Ok..so what point are you trying to make in regards to the current topic?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You referenced heavener being overused in travel AND HS and I simply put the HS numbers up showing in my opinion she was not. She plays HS ball in Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I just looked at their GC, and while their stats are private, you can see their schedule is spread out and not at the same time.

March saw four games in two days, and then they had three games in four days after two days off. Then they had games on the 20, 21, 23, and 25th. So, while they had 11 games in 31 days, they were clustered together. In April, they had games on 3, 4, 5, and 7th, and then they were off for 11 days straight. Then they played the 19, 20, 21, and 24th. That's an interesting schedule.

Nov 18, 2022
So I just looked at their GC, and while their stats are private, you can see their schedule is spread out and not at the same time.

March saw four games in two days, and then they had three games in four days after two days off. Then they had games on the 20, 21, 23, and 25th. So, while they had 11 games in 31 days, they were clustered together. In April, they had games on 3, 4, 5, and 7th, and then they were off for 11 days straight. Then they played the 19, 20, 21, and 24th. That's an interesting schedule.

Max preps lists everything in the box scores fed directly from GC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Ok..so what point are you trying to make in regards to the current topic?
Point is: Better get used to pitcher a lot of innings if you want to play in college.

Check this out. UT Tyler Tatum Goff 39 wins-0 losses. 237 innings. Pretty much used only 3 pitchers all season, which is the norm for this coach.
1684953590299.png

Jun 8, 2016
Point is: Better get used to pitcher a lot of innings if you want to play in college.

Check this out. UT Tyler Tatum Goff 39 wins-0 losses. 237 innings. Pretty much used only 3 pitchers all season, which is the norm for this coach.
View attachment 27995
Come and talk to me when a kid in college throws 21 innings in a day…and this kid probably throws harder than that kid whose stats you quoted..

Pitching at less than 100% and pitching when you are fatigued to the point where it significantly effects your stuff, and more importantly your mechanics, are two different things.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

View attachment 27995
The days of riding one pitcher into the ground are going away. @Traps71 posted a link to an article about how it is changing, referencing Florida State as leading the charge. A simple glance at FSU's pitching stats shows Sandercock throwing 164 innings this season out of 398 for the team.
I think the mid-major teams may be forced to ride a pitcher more than the Power 5 schools because they don't get the top players in their recruiting classes, though. There's a pronounced drop-off between their #1 and the rest of the staff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812