Safety shoes for bucket dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
A 3-gallon bucket on the bottom and a 10-gallon hat on top. 🤠

When I caught my daughter, I sat on a bucket one time. As a former catcher, I could not cope with the limited mobility. (Yes, I know, not everybody can still squat!) I saw more guys take it to the special place on a bucket than off. 😲😨🤢

May 29, 2015
I am too old to squat for an hour. This is what I was looking at for umpire shoes. It looks like the toes are vulnerable.View attachment 22540

Actually, those are great plate shoes IMO. Those 3N2s are what I have worn since I started. They were the first pair that I had and I just replaced them this year. I tried out New Balance for the first time. I still like the 3N2s because I feel they are the least flashy pair out there. (An umpire should look sharp and professional, not make a fashion statement. I'm looking at you New Balance.)

(Yes, those do have toe protection.)

Oct 4, 2018
I use a short bucket. At 6.4, I don’t make a very good sight picture and the short bucket helps a little. It also helps me get my mitt down better for low stuff. For anything I choose to bail on, I use the bottom of my shoe to block the ball.

There are glue on toe protectors that might be helpful. Tuff Toe?

Yup.

I simply raise my feet on drop balls and low pitches. Some I stop with the bottom of my flip flops, some I let go into the net.

Mar 1, 2013
The 3N2 are good shoes as noted above. All good plate shoes have both toe and tarsal protection. My plate shoes are the new balance 460. I've taken fouls straight down into my foot with zero injury and pitches are barely felt when I take one right in the toe. Biggest problem I have is getting polish on the ball from my shoes.

Mar 28, 2014
Went to a pitching camp at Texas A&M and saw the GA using this to catch a pitcher. Better than a bucket. Lower (better target), more comfortable, and allows you to be a little more mobile.

And I use these Easton shin guards that have extended pieces that go over the toes. Has saved me on several occasions.

easton-rival-home-&-road-leg-guards-165166.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi