Safety shoes for bucket dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Have any of you bucket dads (or moms) used safety shoes for your bucket duties? I wear shin guards but they don't seem to cover my toes when I sit on the bucket and I have taken one too many drop balls to the toe. I looked at umpire shoes and some of them seem to have protection for the foot but not the toes. Also, any opinions about alloy vs composite?

May 6, 2015
alloy vs composite is mostly a weight issue, and cold can also seep in faster it seems with "steel toed" than composite (metals are better thermal conductors than carbon fiber or plastics) (and yes, I know cold does not really seep in, but rather heat leaves, but not how it seems working on a concrete floor in an office with steel toed shoes on, feet cold no matter what thermostat changed to)

Nov 18, 2015
you may be able to find steel-toed work boots cheaper than "umpire shoes".

Maybe a place like Site1 (SiteOne?) - which specializes in landscaping supply, might have options that are more lightweight than an umpire shoe.

Or - look at all-star shin guards. Mine came with toe flaps.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I understand this issue well. My toes/feet have taken a beating also. Haven't done it yet, but thought hard about getting steel toes too, but I wear them everyday at work, so resisting having to wear them at home.

I would suggest going to Walmart, Academy, Tractor Supply (?) and looking at their steel toe sneakers. You should be able to pickup a cheap pair for $40 bucks.

Jun 19, 2016
I understand this issue well. My toes/feet have taken a beating also. Haven't done it yet, but thought hard about getting steel toes too, but I wear them everyday at work, so resisting having to wear them at home.

I would suggest going to Walmart, Academy, Tractor Supply (?) and looking at their steel toe sneakers. You should be able to pickup a cheap pair for $40 bucks.
I have to get 4E so that pretty much eliminates most cheap alternatives. I bought a pair of new balance alloy safety shoes from Amazon. They are $90 but they are probably worth it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
First, GET OFF THE BUCKET. Solves 90% of your problems. ;)

I use a short bucket. At 6.4, I don’t make a very good sight picture and the short bucket helps a little. It also helps me get my mitt down better for low stuff. For anything I choose to bail on, I use the bottom of my shoe to block the ball.

There are glue on toe protectors that might be helpful. Tuff Toe?

Jun 19, 2016
I use a short bucket. At 6.4, I don’t make a very good sight picture and the short bucket helps a little. It also helps me get my mitt down better for low stuff. For anything I choose to bail on, I use the bottom of my shoe to block the ball.

There are glue on toe protectors that might be helpful. Tuff Toe?
I use a 3 gallon bucket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi