Jen Schro or not to Jen Schro?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
What is the big advantage of the Jen Schro catching equipment? Or is there? Is it lighter than most? The leg guards do seem lighter than the LS set my 10u DD has- she tried on the set which includes the 14" chest guard and leg guards; but that chest guard seemed very heavy, or stiff, which may be good - maybe needs broke in. Any suggestions? I was just going to go with Champro until I started researching on here...big mistake. :) Just kidding, but I have not found the info I needed and I am not sure what that is. I just want her to have great neck and chest protection...most helmets I have looked at seem like they would do the job and are much better than the NO helmet I wore in the late 70's/early80's catching LOL She has a Champro youth helmet now and it is awesome, but just the wrong color now. Any thoughts on what offers great protection and mobility for a girl in her first year catching? My DD is about 4' 10" or so and right around 105 lbs, all muscle at the moment.

Ray

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I can’t add a technical answer but I do know my DD loves hers.
79e0b3f01b8d26df14fc23a5827db9f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2016
We just got the JSchro shin guards a couple weeks ago. There are two different models "The Fundamentals" = basic less padding and less $$. And the "Only the Best" version = more padding inside and much more $$.

My DD is 12 and about 5-3 and we went with the 14inch medium and its a tad long but she's still growing so shes wearing her old pair shes had since 10u and are a tad too short. Lol 😜

But she says they are comfortable with padding but shes not used to the extra top upper knee protection part yet.

Most knee pads have 2 or 3 parts above the knee. My DD tried the Axis 7 I think its called and it had 3 parts and she hated it. Too bulky and went 1/2 way ip her thigh.

So she likes the JS model but only a few practices so far.

She uses an All Star helmet and chest protector. She only needed the shin guards bcus she needs the padding now that sje throws from kneed more and blocking more.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
I can’t add a technical answer but I do know my DD loves hers.
79e0b3f01b8d26df14fc23a5827db9f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey..quick question...does your DD crisscross the bottom 2 straps on the back or go straight across on the Jen Schros? We tried going straigjt across but didnt seem to "hug" her leg as well as criss crossing the straps.

Apr 28, 2019
What is the big advantage of the Jen Schro catching equipment? Or is there? Is it lighter than most? The leg guards do seem lighter than the LS set my 10u DD has- she tried on the set which includes the 14" chest guard and leg guards; but that chest guard seemed very heavy, or stiff, which may be good - maybe needs broke in. Any suggestions? I was just going to go with Champro until I started researching on here...big mistake. :) Just kidding, but I have not found the info I needed and I am not sure what that is. I just want her to have great neck and chest protection...most helmets I have looked at seem like they would do the job and are much better than the NO helmet I wore in the late 70's/early80's catching LOL She has a Champro youth helmet now and it is awesome, but just the wrong color now. Any thoughts on what offers great protection and mobility for a girl in her first year catching? My DD is about 4' 10" or so and right around 105 lbs, all muscle at the moment.

Ray
[/QUOTE
Ray- Best catchers gear is Allstar/UA. From Velo Pro to System 7, to AFX. UA is made in same factory and just as good for more reasonable price. Converge Pro, Pro 4 sets are very good.
At your DD’s age most of the major brands are pretty decent.
I’m sure price is a consideration as well.
If she is a serious catcher the Allstar/UA gear is the best.
If she is just getting her bearings with catching and your not ready to go all in I would recommend Diamond IX5 or Schutt gear. Rawlings, Easton, Mizuno are all solid as well. Go with what fits your DD best and what fits your budget.
Don’t be afraid to mix & match gear. Sizes/fit can differ greatly from brand to brand.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Put a priority on fit and comfort. Mixing models and brands is fine. My DD's current set includes an Easton Pro-X helmet, Wilson ProMotion chest, and All-Star System 7 legs. A stiff chest protector that doesn't move well with the body is not ideal. Also, you want the chest protector to fit like a compression shirt, not an apron. For smaller players, sometimes this means modifying the straps for it to tighten properly around the body.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ha, I'm not so sure there is a best.... IMO, if you are not constrained to buy a particular brand, spend the most time on the helmet. The features that I look for are 1) no forehead mounts on the cage, 2)the softest forehead padding possible, 3)adjustability that enables a proper fit.

Most all helmets have enough adjustability to get a proper fit. The chin pad should be on the chin and the helmet should be snug enough that it doesn't move around.

The padding variance is crazy.. Some of the forehead padding is CRAZY stiff. Unless you are tied to getting JSchro, the Easton PRO-X seems to have better padding. I believe @Eric F had his DD in a pro-x and compared it to the jschro best.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I believe @Eric F had his DD in a pro-x and compared it to the jschro best.

The Pro-X is essentially the same helmet as the JS. They were both part of a complete helmet re-design by Easton, and they did a good job addressing a lot of the design issues that have been discussed on this site, and catching up to All-Star in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802