Safe arm strengthening

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
Hi again everyone,

I wanted to get some feedback on a strengthening program for my 11 yo DD. As I mentioned in another post, she's very small for her age ... about 4'9" and 80 pounds.

She can reach 2nd base, but it takes her extra time because she really has to get her momentum moving towards second to get it there.

I'm interested in getting her started on a SAFE strengthening program. I will obviously check with her pediatrician too, but I'm curious what strengthening exercises/drills have worked for your girls. We do some long toss, but that's about it currently. I've heard about people using weighted balls, although that worries me a bit. Weights? Strength bands?

Any feedback you guys can provide is appreciated. Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I discarded my weighted balls, years ago.
When my son was that age he decided, on his own, to make the A team, at school baseball. He started running. He ran every morning. That was about all that he did, to improve and it made a vast difference. It wasn't a long distance - maybe 2 miles.

So, I suggest just doing normal family activities - hiking, biking, playing on the beach. Maybe, challenge her to sit ups, push ups, etc.

Make it fun. It doesn't have to be a set program.

Feb 10, 2013
I would try simple arm exercises with a 1lb weight ...start with arms straight out to sides and then bend elbows so fists are facing ceiling..with weight slowly rotate arms forward so fists are in front of her arms still bent at elbow in a 90 angle than back to starting position..do approx 2 sets of 10 a day on each arm and with in a few weeks you will see a noticable difference in velocity and ease...It worked for us...something to try

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Imo. You're already are doing long toss, great, best thing you can do. I would have her throwing mechanics checked out, maybe send a video to Austin and he will help you. Those two things alone would be the best investments you could make. They will help her throw and help avoid throwing pain.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Lot of people forget how critical core training is for ball. You need strength and flexibility there. It's not all in the arms.

Body lunges, running, squats, deadlifts, leg presses. I'd also google "rotator cuff" exercises and find ones you like ( light weights, high reps ).

Like Amy said, push ups do wonders. Lots of muscle groups involved and it's a safer way since you're only using body weight.

Stretching is vital. I need to do more of that myself, some reason now I'd just rather "stretch" out on the couch. :(

Feb 24, 2012
Very good advice here^^^^^^^^^^^ we have done tons of core and agility w/ our team for last 3yrs. Long toss also. Proper throwing mechs is key!!

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Grogger31, I would be happy to take a look at her throwing mechanics. If you have any video just send along or I can take a look at her throwing mechanics via youtube if you've already posted something.

Talk soon!

Austin

Feb 5, 2013
Appreciate the offer, Austin. As soon as we get the 3 feet of snow off the ground, I'll take some. Ha ha!

Actually, I'll get some video at her pitcher/catcher clinic next week and see if I can't get that on YouTube.

And thanks to everyone for your strengthening suggestions.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I discarded my weighted balls, years ago.
When my son was that age he decided, on his own, to make the A team, at school baseball. He started running. He ran every morning. That was about all that he did, to improve and it made a vast difference. It wasn't a long distance - maybe 2 miles.

So, I suggest just doing normal family activities - hiking, biking, playing on the beach. Maybe, challenge her to sit ups, push ups, etc.

Make it fun. It doesn't have to be a set program.

Really like this advice! Riding bikes, wrestling with the family, climbing trees, playing frisbee, skipping rocks, snowball fights, obstacle course races, jumping on the tramp... Chuck the video games and the big rectangular thing across from the big fluffy thing and get out and play with family and friends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG