Sabella Skills hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
I was told hitting video should be more practice settings. Should I add a side view camera in the cage? Or should I just focus on Tee swings? Would love input on hitting mechanics and areas she can grow. Thanks!

One observation: Her bat ends up very vertical on the follow through after contact. I wonder if she is holding the bat too tight and not letting hit through the ball with max velocity. IMO, the follow through angle of the bat should be on plane with the contact angle. This is similar to the 'rise' you mentioned.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yeah, see how his front belt loop (the one above his hip) turns away from his target and his front knee straightens.

I was more interested in the caption. Maybe could shed more understanding on what the extremities are used for. Just needs to be translated to timing w a baseball/softball swing. More doesn’t equal more. It equals an adjustment imo.

Off time vs on time.

1658426443594.gif

1658426578183.gif

Max leveraging everything isn’t something that is a teach imo. Timing is the teach.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
One observation: Her bat ends up very vertical on the follow through after contact. I wonder if she is holding the bat too tight and not letting hit through the ball with max velocity. IMO, the follow through angle of the bat should be on plane with the contact angle. This is similar to the 'rise' you mentioned.

I think thats an ‘oppo’ approach. I am a fan of the oppo approach timing wise. Not a fan of the oppo approach mechanically. Or maybe too big of a barrel tip. Or not timed correctly every time. 🤷🏽‍♂️ There are a lot of moving parts for sure.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I was more interested in the caption. Maybe could shed more understanding on what the extremities are used for. Just needs to be translated to timing w a baseball/softball swing. More doesn’t equal more. It equals an adjustment imo.

Off time vs on time.

View attachment 26083

View attachment 26084

Max leveraging everything isn’t something that is a teach imo. Timing is the teach.
Why can't we have leverage and timing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Off time vs on time.

View attachment 26083

View attachment 26084

I notice how her top hand is holding bat deep in the palm. Another example how not everybody gets it done exactly the same way. She also come out of her posture a little early too. Maybe she was looking away and the pitch was in??? She adjusted her spine angle??? Good hitters figure out how to get the barrel to the ball. They will contort their body to execute the task at hand. What's the task? Create a line drive off the barrel. It is nice to have a good tee ball swing or front toss swing but come game time the hitter that can execute the task will be winning a spot in the lineup. I tell my DD, scan the field for open green areas. Those are your targets. Visualize. It is amazing what can happen when you set a task and let it happen. The mind is very strong if you let it be. The mind is a supercomputer. Set the task and let it work. Easier said than done. I am a golfer; trust me I know.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I notice how her top hand is holding bat deep in the palm. Another example how not everybody gets it done exactly the same way. She also come out of her posture a little early too. Maybe she was looking away and the pitch was in??? She adjusted her spine angle??? Good hitters figure out how to get the barrel to the ball. They will contort their body to execute the task at hand. What's the task? Create a line drive off the barrel. It is nice to have a good tee ball swing or front toss swing but come game time the hitter that can execute the task will be winning a spot in the lineup. I tell my DD, scan the field for open green areas. Those are your targets. Visualize. It is amazing what can happen when you set a task and let it happen. The mind is very strong if you let it be. The mind is a supercomputer. Set the task and let it work. Easier said than done. I am a golfer; trust me I know.

Yes always check the defense. If you get a good pitch location for let’s say RC where there is green. Our computer does it’s thing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

If you’re pushing from the front leg or the core maybe it’s bc you don’t have enough space for the time you acquired? Maybe it’s location based? I’m just saying that leveraging the leg should be a timing thing, not a ‘teach’. Getting it stabilize into the ground is enough to get the front hip to ‘lose’ ground and hit for plenty of power.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

We’re getting off into the weeds a bit. I’m talking about the functionality of things during a timed event. You leverage what you can/need to do get to said task. Sometimes that involves a straighter front leg and sometimes it does not. The legs are for stability and adjustments was my point.

I’m a hit it where it’s pitched guy. I don’t want a kid trying to drag/cast the barrel. Think it takes away from the actual goal or sequence if you will. Much like a slap-hitter. Those types never really learn a good sequence bc there hands are always pushing or dragging things along. imho of course.

Edit: the slap hitter pattern has ruined more softball swings than I can count. Coaches tend to teach it the same to everyone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi