Runner missed Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2011
I had a runner cross the plate with a throw coming to the plate. The throw was off line and there was no play at the plate. Two runners scored on the play, and after they both went into the dugout, the BU called the runner out, stating he did not touch the plate. Our runner of course says that he did, but my question is: Shouldn't that have had to be challenged by the opposing team? They didn't challenge, and it was the third out. We lost the game 9-8 due to this ruling.

Jul 28, 2008
That's an appeal play. BU should have kept his mouth shut and the manager should have appealed the call afterwards.

Jun 22, 2008
Once a runner has passed a base, they are considered to have touched the base until properly appealed. As stated above, the umpire should not have said anything until such time as it had been properly appealed. Further, unless it was a 3 ump system and the 1st base umpire had rotated home for the call, this would not be the base umpires call anyway, it is the plate umpires call.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I had a runner cross the plate with a throw coming to the plate. The throw was off line and there was no play at the plate. Two runners scored on the play, and after they both went into the dugout, the BU called the runner out, stating he did not touch the plate. Our runner of course says that he did, but my question is: Shouldn't that have had to be challenged by the opposing team? They didn't challenge, and it was the third out. We lost the game 9-8 due to this ruling.

While this was absolutely terrible ruling without the proper appeal being executed, you did not lose the game because of one call.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
While I agree that it was a terrible call and it sounds like (in this case) it DID cost the team the game, if I was the opposing coach I would've protested the game as to how you were able to have boys play in the girl's fastpitch game. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't think that he said that it was a fastpitch game. I just figured that it was baseball, slow pitch or a coed team. Many times the rules can be the same.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
While I agree that it was a terrible call and it sounds like (in this case) it DID cost the team the game, if I was the opposing coach I would've protested the game as to how you were able to have boys play in the girl's fastpitch game. :)

Is this a girls fastpitch site, or a fastpitch site? We do have several male posters here who play the game.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA