Runner missed Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I would have protested your protest.

Why?

If an umpire has made the wrong call (and calling an out on an appeal play WITHOUT the appeal is the wrong call) then I have every right to protest.

And for the record, unless this was the very last play and was the winning run, then no it did not lose the game.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree the umpire made a mistake and let’s assume the umpire upheld your protest. Why wouldn’t the defensive Team just appeal the play properly, runner is out again. I think.

Jun 22, 2008
The umpire opened up a whole lot of trouble with this call that would be hard to fix. First off, it wasnt his call to make. Second, unless appealed, the call shouldnt have been made by either umpire. Third, umpires should not be tipping teams to possible calls.

Not exactly sure how you fix it, but by missapplying the rule, the call is protestable. But, by making the call, the umpire has also tipped the defense. Now you have to drag out rule 10 and try to remedy the situation as equitably as possible for both teams which is next to impossible since no matter how you rule one of the teams is going to be hurt.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The umpire opened up a whole lot of trouble with this call that would be hard to fix. First off, it wasnt his call to make. Second, unless appealed, the call shouldnt have been made by either umpire. Third, umpires should not be tipping teams to possible calls.

Not exactly sure how you fix it, but by missapplying the rule, the call is protestable. But, by making the call, the umpire has also tipped the defense. Now you have to drag out rule 10 and try to remedy the situation as equitably as possible for both teams which is next to impossible since no matter how you rule one of the teams is going to be hurt.

Solid grounds for the ever popular playground solution - "Do Over"

Oct 24, 2010
Wasn't there a high school (NFHS) rule at one time that the umpire was to call a runner out if a base was missed, no appeal necessary?

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
This is a big teaching moment for the players... TOUCH ALL OF THE BASES!!! Not the umpires fault that the player missed Home Plate. He should not have called it, but it would not be an issue if the player TOUCHED THE PLATE! :)

Teach the player to take responsibility for actions (not touching the plate), rather than blaming a rule or an umpire for the outcome. Umpires make mistakes all the time, but you don't want to give them reasons to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA