Runner missed Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The BU could have made the correct call depending on which runner missed home plate. If the lead base runner (R1) missed home plate, and the next runners (R2 and R3) then crossed home plate, then they passed R1 on the bases. Therefore, R2 should have been called out immediately, dead ball, and R3 goes back to the last base touched. R1 can subsequently be called out on a dead ball appeal at the plate. If this is what happened, then there does not need to be an appeal made for R2 to be called out and the BU is well within his power to make the call.

Jun 22, 2008
The BU could have made the correct call depending on which runner missed home plate. If the lead base runner (R1) missed home plate, and the next runners (R2 and R3) then crossed home plate, then they passed R1 on the bases. Therefore, R2 should have been called out immediately, dead ball, and R3 goes back to the last base touched. R1 can subsequently be called out on a dead ball appeal at the plate. If this is what happened, then there does not need to be an appeal made for R2 to be called out and the BU is well within his power to make the call.

You have mixed many rules and are missapplying them. First off, it still is not the base umpires call. If the runner missed touching home plate, it is the plate umpires call. Second, passing a runner on the bases is not a dead ball, it is an out, live ball play on. Third, a runner was not passed on the bases, they had all completed running the bases. You cant run past home, so how could they have physically passed the runner? Now, if it was one of the lead runners that missed the plate, the rule that would have applied in this situation is once a subsequent runner has passed the base, the runner who missed can no longer go back to touch the base. Fourth, by rule, once a runner has passed a base, they are assumed to have touched that base until properly appealed. There was no appeal, runners did not physically pass any other runners on the bases and the base umpire made a call he should not have unless there had been an appeal, and it still was not his call to make anyway.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
This is a big teaching moment for the players... TOUCH ALL OF THE BASES!!! Not the umpires fault that the player missed Home Plate. He should not have called it, but it would not be an issue if the player TOUCHED THE PLATE! :)

Teach the player to take responsibility for actions (not touching the plate), rather than blaming a rule or an umpire for the outcome. Umpires make mistakes all the time, but you don't want to give them reasons to.

AMEN, Jim!!!!!! I wish more people thought this way!!!!!

Umpires are VERY rarely the cause of you losing a game, period. There is almost always something that you could have done better as a team that would have swung the game in your favor.

Mar 13, 2010
Does anyone remember when the USA player missed the plate at the 1996 Olympics? Danni someone? Put the ball over the fence and missed home plate too busy cheering. Kerry Dinelt, Australian first base, saw it and made the appeal. Runner called out.

No other runs scored during normal innings. Run scored top eighth (or ninth?) by the Americans. That was the international tie break runner. Jo Brown, two down, two strikes puts Lisa Fernendez over the fence. I was 13 and screaming. Very popular as it was 4 in the morning here!

Jun 22, 2008
I thought it was Fernandez that missed the plate. I seem to remember her giving an interview about it and Austrailia was complaining about her stomping on the plate on the home run hit. She said after missing it the first time she wanted to make sure everyone saw her step on it the second time.

Mar 13, 2010
No it was Danni Tyler. (I remembered her as being blonde) I definitely don't remember Lisa Fernandez ever missing the plate. Jo Brown jumped on the plate as a 'I am NOT missing the plate'

I Googled the game and found this wonderful article about Australia/US softball matches. The title 'Great hit Jo-Jo' was said by Fernandez after the hit.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA