Runner could not find 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had a runner this weekend who could not find 2nd base. She was running circles around it just couldn’t find it. She’s either 11 or 12 and can play. Defensive Team got the ball to 2nd and tags her out.

One of the stranger things I have seen in a while.

Umpire felt bad for her and went out and cleaned all the bases while shaking his head. :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I've had girls in tee-ball (5 & 6 year olds) run all the way out to right field (or around the left fielder on their way to 3rd) but not finding 2nd base is a new one above that level. That must have been amuzing for all but the poor girl who couldn't find the bag.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
:), the base was in the same place for at least 3 hours before she lost it. It was in the exact same place until I pulled it out and put it away an hour and ½ later.

Mar 11, 2009
I just had an umpire go clean second base yesterday, because neither my base runner nor I could see it from 1st base. Sometimes the girls needs to learn to speak up when something isn't right, the earlier age they can learn it the better. I have seen a 12u pitcher pitch an 11" ball at nationals for one batter before she spoke up, lucky it didn't leave the yard. Also seen a friendly where 12u pitcher was warming up before first inning from 43ft, knew something was different but was going to go with it until one of our coaches spotted it.

Oct 12, 2009
It's not just girls.

In a playoff baseball game two years ago my pitcher was cruising for three innings and for one batter in the 4th. Then he absolutely, and uncharacteristically, fell apart. it turned out that somewhere between the first and second batters in the 4th -- probably on a foul ball into the woods -- the game ball got switched and the normal game ball got replaced with a waterlogged ball that weighed roughly twice as much as a normal ball. He thought the ball felt weird but didn't say anything, even during a mound visit.

Jul 11, 2010
At one of DD's ASA Nationals qualifier tournaments this summer, the 14Us were split between two complexes, 4 fields each.

One of the complexes had rubbers at 40' as should be for ASA. Other had them at 43' until middle of the day on Sunday!! Games had been played from Friday evening through all of Sat., nearly half of Sunday before a coach was able to get an ump to measure it on one field. It then spread QUICKLY to the other 3 fields.

Pitiful.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I can top that one. A couple of years ago when ASA first moved to 43' for 18U we were playing in a year-end tournament in Ohio. There were two pitching rubbers in place, and the umpire the first day told us our pitchers should use the back one because that's the 43' one. The next day we get to the field and the umpire tells us to use the front one. I say, "No, we should use the back one because that's the 43' one." The umpire laughs and says "No, that one is 46'. I umpire here all the time."

Oops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1