Rules are the rules....unless they aren't???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2010
I have always taken the stance that there is no advantage to leaping. A simple vector analysis tells me if the pitchers is going up, rather than towards the batter, her pitch will be slower.

Balance that effect with being able to stride closer to the plate by leaping.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Balance that effect with being able to stride closer to the plate by leaping.

Do a little test when you get the chance. I've done it myself and I have had my pitchers do it just for grins and giggles. Go to a pitcher's plate and stride off legally and mark where your front foot lands. Now stride of while leaping and mark where it lands. Every single person was able to stride further while dragging than they could while leaping.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I find the comments that's it's okay to willfully violate the rules because no advantage is gained, or that it's "only 12U C ball" to be fascinating.

Not sure who is advocating to willfully violate the rules. If the blue sees it, they should call it. My argument is to quit whining about it when blue doesn't call it.

I do advocate getting rid of the rule completely because there is not advantage to it. Or at the very least, stop the double jeopardy penalty. Give a ball to the batter and leave the runner be. It's not a balk.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
UPDATE.....

The same pitcher and team were at this weekends tournament. My team did not play them. But, I did notice this same pitcher had altered her delivery. No crow hop at all. Also, hardly any push off or toe drag. A simple step and delivery. Her pitches appeared slower and less accurate. Her opponents hit her hard, and she walked a lot of batters. Now, was she just off her game this weekend? I don't know, but the same team that took second the week before with her pitching every game suddenly went 1-4 this weekend and finished in last place. I don't know what led to her altering her delivery (Umpires, Coaches, illegal pitches called?). I'm also not going to say her "advantage" was taken away. I'm just posting the facts and results.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
What is the ruling when the back (stride) foot slide off the plate and down in a hole on the backside? Is it considered loss of contact with the plate even though if the hole wasn't there, then the foot would maintain contact? Java's 2 step has gained traction in the midwest from most of the pitching rubbers I've seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877