Rules are the rules....unless they aren't???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The past 4 years, I don't think I have seen an IP called for leaping or replanting (and there are many, many pitchers who technically could be called for it). I did hear this weekend that a 12U all-star pitcher was called 2x for an IP for striding outside the 24inch "lane". That would be the first time at this level I have seen this call. I guess umpires pick and choose what is important to them to enforce?

Two years ago, one of our pitchers got called for IP (leaping) 3 times in one game....8U Districts. That's the only time I've seen leap/crow-hop called. I have seen IP for double-tap with the hands called numerous times.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Two tournaments so far this year, where I've umpired 16 games. In those games, I've called about ten illegal pitches. Roughly 5 for leaping, 3 for stepping onto the rubber with the hands joined, 1 for a double touch of the hands, and 1 for the stride foot sliding back off the rubber before the pitch.

In most cases, the coach was incredulous because his pitcher "had never been called for that before". Also in most cases, the pitcher immediately adjusted and pitched legally from there on in.

Jul 6, 2013
It truly is a shame that at any time you can go to the park and see several illegal pitches being throw every game. I wonder what else the umpires don't call correctly? And to think, all this time I thought we had issues here.

Maybe it is just a regional thing. I know that here it is called pretty dang good with respect to illegal pitches. I expect that when I pay an umpire to do his/her job, that they will do his/her job. That includes calling illegal pitches, when pitches are, in fact, illegal.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So, I guess at the 12u 'C' level, rules are now optional. If it's pertinent at all, another Umpire at the fields that day said; "yes, every one of her pitches is illegal". I'd like to request him for the next game against this team.

My thoughts...
1) A lot of 12U games would slow to a crawl if umpires called every IP, especially C-level.
2) By not calling IPs, umpires are essentially condoning the actions.
3) A lot college pitchers are illegal because they have been pitching that way since 10U.
4) College umpires miss a lot of IPs.
5) I think umpires at 12U and younger should warn the pitchers, and their coaches, and start calling IPs at 14U and above.
6) This would give pitchers fair warning to fix their mechanics before it becomes an issue.
7) The higher the level TB, the more closely the umpires should watch for IP.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Did the ump actually say "It is OK to leap", the conversation you outlined stated the umpire said she was dragging her foot which would mean from what the umpire saw she was legal, maybe I'm just reading your comment wrong. or did he admit she only drags after leaping

He neither admitted she was leaping, nor did he say she wasn't leaping. When I said she was leaping, his exact quote was; "I can see where here toe is dragging. As long as her toe drags she is ok". But an Umpire the next day of the tourney stated to me in a conversation; "Yes, she is illegal every single pitch".

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Was there a large depression in front of the pitching plate, then both feet can technically be off the ground at the same time? Being a little facetious here but want to point out that the rules are capricious and their enforcement arbitrary especially if you only have one umpire working the game. Almost impossible to see from home plate while watching the pitch and any base runners. BTW, this umpire sounds like a moron that clearly doesn't realize that one can leap and have some drag after an illegal leap, but IME a lot of umpires are either ignorant of the pitching rules or choose to ignore them.

I did reread the rules, and she was still illegal. I understand if there's a deep impression, as long as her foot is parallel with the pitching rubber, she is legal. This girl was quite obvious. When I asked the base umpire, he stated; "Home plate ump says she is legal, so she is legal". It was a one time conversation between innings with the umpires. I didn't linger on the topic as long as I might have seemed. But it was still frustrating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877