rotational vs. combinational approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
To me this is just another game that people are playing. How many posters in this thread actually coach softball? I know Mike does and I've always respected him for that. However, no one posting on this thread has been to the private portion of Englishbey's site in some 3+ years. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Knowing that the majority of the video section of that site is less than 2 years old and knowing that a major body of content was added this past fall, no one other than MarkH has any clue as to exactly what Steve teaches. I took some time to get a direct quote from Paul Nyman so that we could know exactly what Paul said:

"PCRW IS is first and foremost a structural definition of what a high level swing is, i.e. defines those bodily actions and movements that result in a high-level swing. And "high-level" as I use it is defined as a swing that contains all the elements found in the best major-league baseball swings.

The benefit of using the term PCR(W), as with building codes, is that it refers to a very strict interpretation of what constitutes a high-level swing. This interpretation is based upon thousands (ten's of thousands) of hours of work on my part using tools such as physics, computer physics simulations, physiology, engineering control and feedback systems, motor learning and control, video analysis of all sorts, empirical results from working with hundreds of players at all levels (little league to major league) either directly or indirectly (Internet)."
Paul Nyman

Therefore, anything that he or anyone well versed in that system MUST as per the definition meet the criteria of a this type of swing. I won't go as far as say MLB swing since it really is checkoffs with drills and not a teaching technique. I've always wonder if the misrepresentation of one individual and his continued attacks and as to what was taught has developed a myth of its own and continues to be perpetuated.

Paul goes on to say:

"And then there are those few who are convinced that PCR "instruction" doesn't work. Again, there is no such thing as PCR instruction. Either these individuals do not understand what PCRW is (a standard to judge a swing by) and/or that the "PCR" process they allegedly used to achieve what they think "PCR" is, didn't meet their expectations. How could it as there no such thing as PCR instruction.

In summary, PCRW is a structural definition of a high level swing. It identifies and explains those movements that result in a high level swing. I have developed a SETPRO instructional methodology (Rotational Hitting for Nominees and The SETPRO Instructor Swing Training Program) which is my approach to what a player needs to do to develop swing mechanics that meet the PCRW requirement.

In summary, most (if not all) of the discussion(s) that I see claiming the person's use or understanding of PCR are of little no value. Worse yet are those who claim that either they teach PCR or that tried PCR and it didn't work."
Paul Nyman

I would go on to say that my impression is that Steve is trying to set up a site by attempting to teach members to "see" movement and understand the "reality" of the swing better--as defined by PCR and all that it stands for. (Steve, himself, has asserted that one does not teach PCR.) This then can potentially help a coach teach more effectively. Tom and Mike, I do appreciate the attempt at decent discussion where we all attempted to be civil. One last thought and I'll be done hijacking this thread yet again as this ridiculous set of attacks continues and seems destine to overtake every website on the Internet. This argument has become personal with some posters on every site. If your life is so tragic and pathetic that you must build your self esteem by attacking another of whom you know exaclty nothing about what is contained on their private website nor what they actually teach, then you need to seek help.

Marc, I'll now suspend myself for a week! I do appreciate this site. However, and as I pmed you, you will now have to take actions against all parties involved including me if you want a website that is actually beneficial to the majority of your members who could care less about these "hitting camps."

May 12, 2008
Mark, I believe Tom is referring to the swing system taught by Steve Englishbey...to answer your question. Rotation around the front leg/hip like a gate swinging around the gate post - such as that taught by Englishbey. I used to believe that to, but then moved on.

Mark, can you explain your thoughts on momentum creation and transfer? I think that would be helpful to all.

Mike

All you need to know about Steve as written by Tom. Yeah, that'll be accurate.:rolleyes: I would say the answer is found at Epsteins site -----showing the hitters just turning /tilt back/little shift /no upper body loading /little to no cocking of the bat. I'd say the answer is found on my Epstein video showing the same thing when he tells the subject the weight shifts from front to back as the rear shoulder drops. And of course Epstein is teaching the ML pattern. The pattern Tom says is the same as throwing though Epstein's drills completely take the arm action out of the equation with zero loading of the shoulders and arms. Yeah, that looks like TW. :rolleyes:

As to your question, what's the point in answering agenda driven questions? You want to know my thoughts on momentum development and transfer you can read Dixon, Englishbey and setpro. That should just about cover it.

How about you explain to me your thoughts on momentum development and transfer as shown in Epstein's drills starting with the weight forward, the front foot open about 60 degrees, shifting the weight from the inside of the front thigh to the inside of the back thigh as the shoulder drops?

What does rotate around the front hip mean to you? I grant you the rotation isn't around the front hip in most of the hitters on Epstein's site. Hard to do that and be moving your head and upper torso/axis of rotation back toward the catcher at the the end of rotation.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Darrell,

I respect your thoughts, as you know, especially coming from a fellow coach. We do disagree on some things concerning PCR and it's application, but that's ok. I wish you wouldn't go suspending yourself though. That is totally unneccesary, IMO. :)

Mark,

I was hoping for some content from you concerning my question...oh well. Agenda driven questions? Now come on, Marcus, you are always asking others to explain themselves to you. And concerning Steve, I really do wish him well. I just disagree with his teaching of the swing.

I think people would be better served by studying Mankin, Yeager, Epstein, and the Candrea/Enquist RVP CD. I agree, some of Candrea's presentations need cleaned up, but I absolutely love his emphasis on the top hand/arm. Other than that, I have found HittingIllustrated.com to offer the best overall content.

Carry on.

Mike

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Mark -

I have had e-mail discussions with Englishbey and Nyman over many years including thousands of e-mails. I have seen hours of video of Nyman and Englishbey instructing. I have had Englishbey state that he has posted plenty of info about his swing theories for them to be understood (at etemz and bbf).

Slapper has been on the site and tried more specific drills/stuff as has Richard/teacherman.

I think for further discussion you need to gove specifics of how PCR is being misrepresented so tthis an be discussed.

For example, Daryl/cannonball/B25 says PCRW is a blueprint/specification/framework for measuring a swing including the MLB pattern.

I say if you follow the PCRW blueprint/specifications, an MLB swing pattern is not possible becasue of the way the specifications are defined. MLB hitters do now use a swing pattern where shoulders rotate the way PCR shoulder rotation is defined.

So do you have any other specific examples where you think things are being misrepresented that we can discuss or look at on video ?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I would say the answer is found at Epsteins site -----showing the hitters just turning /tilt back/little shift /no upper body loading /little to no cocking of the bat. I'd say the answer is found on my Epstein video showing the same thing when he tells the subject the weight shifts from front to back as the rear shoulder drops. And of course Epstein is teaching the ML pattern.

Actually he is teaching the ML pattern. Once again I refer you to the Fleck kid. His swing is amazingly similar to Williams.

Apparently what some don't like about Epstein's material is that he sticks to the technique part of the swing and stays completely away from trying to tell a hitter what their individual style should be. Epstein does not teach movements like the hip cock or anything to do with the position of the hands during the load, because hitters do these things differently. Does Soriano cock his hips like Chipper? No. Does Bonds load his hands like Ryan Howard or Pujols? No.

A big part of hitting is being comfortable and it's up to the hitter to wrap his individual style around the universal technique part of the swing, which Epstein would define as "launch to contact".

Mark, you will be happy to know that on Epstein's new site he is going to cover how a hitter wraps their individual style around the universal technique part of the swing. Something he does not get into in his DVDs.

As far as the weight shift issue, I believe that Epstein needs to figure out a better way to explain or illustrate it on his DVDs. For those of us who have kids that don't naturally weight shift, we need another dot to connect. Maybe the 1-2-3 drill should be a 1-2-3-4 drill for those of us who have kids that don't weight shift correctly from the "2" position in the "Numbers Drill".

The thing that readers need to understand is that no matter whose DVD you buy, you are going to have issues and questions as you begin teaching. The reason why people who buy Englishbey's DVDs are referred to the private section of his website, is for support. Epstein's new site addresses the support issue and includes online newsletters, drills and video swing analysis.

Do I think Epstein's DVDs are perfect? No. But neither are any of the other's. Epstein's material will get you in the pattern. IMO, it's a solid base to build off. So solid, that within 30 minutes last night, I was able to get my daughter into the ML lower body pattern. The information that allowed me to do that came from one e-mail from "callyjr", complete with a video clip of his 8 year kid who has an amazing swing for an 8 year old; and reading through the lower body discussions at HittingIllustrated.

The HI stuff is actually consistent with Epstein, they just go into a lot more depth and explain it in a manner that clicked with me. Boy, did it ever click.

A couple more weeks and another few hundred swings and I hope to have my 12 year old daughter looking as good as "callyjr's" 8 year old son.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Ok, I'm really pumped now. I just went to Epstein's site to check on a clip that I thought Mark was asking me to comment on, and as I scroll down I find a clip of Katie Cochran. I've been searching for a decent clip of her for a year.

No, Epstein is not saying he taught her. If you get time go read what he writes as it's self explanatory and ties into what I was saying earlier about style verses technique.

More importantly, check out where Katie holds the bat in her stance, and then check out the position of her bat at toe touch. The technique part of the swing begins at toe touch/launch. Also, check out how she gets her hands to the palm up/palm down position quickly. This is classic Ted Williams. Katie has been studying Ted since she was 11 years old.

Mar 19, 2009
Ok, I'm really pumped now. I just went to Epstein's site to check on a clip that I thought Mark was asking me to comment on, and as I scroll down I find a clip of Katie Cochran. I've been searching for a decent clip of her for a year.

No, Epstein is not saying he taught her. If you get time go read what he writes as it's self explanatory and ties into what I was saying earlier about style verses technique.

More importantly, check out where Katie holds the bat in her stance, and then check out the position of her bat at toe touch. The technique part of the swing begins at toe touch/launch. Also, check out how she gets her hands to the palm up/palm down position quickly. This is classic Ted Williams. Katie has been studying Ted since she was 11 years old.

It was even more impressive in person.

While I have no intention of climbing into this pi$$ing match, I can speak from personal experience.

I bought Epsteins VHS tapes way back when, they were reccomended by Mark, I think I sent the first clip of her when she was 11. We did see marked improvement, but hit a wall. Maybe it was me, but she could never get off of her backside, she became a backside spinner. There were glimpses of raw power but they were few and far between. She looked alot like the two girls on the bottom of this page.

Rising Stars

Another issue was not having the top hand elbow get in front of the hip, bat drag. I talked to Mike Epstien several times on the phone, one time he was late for a hitting lesson because he was talking to me for over 20 minutes. He felt that the bat drag issue was from not winding the rubberband properly.

When I started using Englishbey's material she was able to connect the top and bottom halves, and balls started leaving the park. Although the HR's are fun the greater benefit is the hot ground balls through the infield.

May 12, 2008
Darrell,

I respect your thoughts, as you know, especially coming from a fellow coach. We do disagree on some things concerning PCR and it's application, but that's ok. I wish you wouldn't go suspending yourself though. That is totally unneccesary, IMO. :)

Mark,

I was hoping for some content from you concerning my question...oh well. Agenda driven questions? Now come on, Marcus, you are always asking others to explain themselves to you. And concerning Steve, I really do wish him well. I just disagree with his teaching of the swing.

I think people would be better served by studying Mankin, Yeager, Epstein, and the Candrea/Enquist RVP CD. I agree, some of Candrea's presentations need cleaned up, but I absolutely love his emphasis on the top hand/arm. Other than that, I have found HittingIllustrated.com to offer the best overall content.

Carry on.

Mike
Speaking of not answering questions. You claim to know Steve etc so you should know my viewpoint already. Now how about answering my questions.

May 12, 2008
Actually he is teaching the ML pattern. Once again I refer you to the Fleck kid. His swing is amazingly similar to Williams.

Easy there on the comparisons. I wouldn't go that far. So where is the before clip and what do you think of Amanda's clip?

Apparently what some don't like about Epstein's material is that he sticks to the technique part of the swing and stays completely away from trying to tell a hitter what their individual style should be. Epstein does not teach movements like the hip cock or anything to do with the position of the hands during the load, because hitters do these things differently. Does Soriano cock his hips like Chipper? No. Does Bonds load his hands like Ryan Howard or Pujols? No.

Mike shovels a whole lot into that style folder doesn't he.

A big part of hitting is being comfortable and it's up to the hitter to wrap his individual style around the universal technique part of the swing, which Epstein would define as "launch to contact".

I agree with that.

Mark, you will be happy to know that on Epstein's new site he is going to cover how a hitter wraps their individual style around the universal technique part of the swing. Something he does not get into in his DVDs.

Good.

As far as the weight shift issue, I believe that Epstein needs to figure out a better way to explain or illustrate it on his DVDs. For those of us who have kids that don't naturally weight shift, we need another dot to connect. Maybe the 1-2-3 drill should be a 1-2-3-4 drill for those of us who have kids that don't weight shift correctly from the "2" position in the "Numbers Drill".

I agree wholeheartedly. Nicely understated I think. Reminds me of when I asked him in person how kids should transition the bat off the deltoid. He looked thoughtful for a moment and said "Some never do". I thought that was a little stunning.

The thing that readers need to understand is that no matter whose DVD you buy, you are going to have issues and questions as you begin teaching. The reason why people who buy Englishbey's DVDs are referred to the private section of his website, is for support. Epstein's new site addresses the support issue and includes online newsletters, drills and video swing analysis.

Good. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Do I think Epstein's DVDs are perfect? No. But neither are any of the other's. Epstein's material will get you in the pattern. IMO, it's a solid base to build off. So solid, that within 30 minutes last night, I was able to get my daughter into the ML lower body pattern. The information that allowed me to do that came from one e-mail from "callyjr", complete with a video clip of his 8 year kid who has an amazing swing for an 8 year old; and reading through the lower body discussions at HittingIllustrated.

I agree cally is better than Mike though he won't accept that. I don't agree with Mike's rotational model nor his lack of upper body loading to mention a couple. As to the ml pattern of your DD who moves the lower body like a ML hitter. That's a big check to write for your DD to cash. I'd stay a little calmer and just be happy she's better.

The HI stuff is actually consistent with Epstein, they just go into a lot more depth and explain it in a manner that clicked with me. Boy, did it ever click.

Whatever works for you. Let us know how it pans out over the years. Thinking you "have it" now after how long is a different thing than hitting gold pitching.

A couple more weeks and another few hundred swings and I hope to have my 12 year old daughter looking as good as "callyjr's" 8 year old son.

Better today than yesterday and not as good as tomorrow. Don't get too high, don't get too low just work with the goal of seeing how good she can become.

May 12, 2008

Yes she has and you can ask her dad about it on UCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez