Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Lets see, we have a video of a drill, not an actual swing, and a grainy video of a tee shot. 37 pages later and it looks like the only person who has gained anything from this is perfect circle, who now knows that the way he was trying to clean up his .Gifs he was dropping frames.

And then we have this:
552c8m.jpg

The second time we have seen this swing, the first when it was being taught to that poor kid.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Following the back and forth. I have to say, posting this side by side is a real head scratcher.
PenaSteven.gif

The reverse "C" created by these two swings is a huge fundamental flaw.

And the capitol "C" created by the hitter on the right is not high level.
BondsBrndn1.gif

So the backward "C" equals too much weight on the backside OR a lack of weight transfer or centering(balancing) the weight between the legs? That sounds like a spinning backside....

R

RayR

Hmmm...guy on the left starting from severe tipped position compared to Hamilton and very little going on below waist....yet still manages to look pretty darn close to Hamilton's barrel path...and from a different camera angle...so it looks like guy on left is bopping catcher on head

And then we have this:
552c8m.jpg

The second time we have seen this swing, the first when it was being taught to that poor kid.

Here is a better angle of the barrel direction being taught...

m4eg.jpg

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Following the back and forth. I have to say, posting this side by side is a real head scratcher.
PenaSteven.gif

The reverse "C" created by these two swings is a huge fundamental flaw.

And the capitol "C" created by the hitter on the right is not high level.
BondsBrndn1.gif

Will you elaborate on what you mean when you say reverse c and capital c?

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Lets see, we have a video of a drill, not an actual swing, and a grainy video of a tee shot. 37 pages later and it looks like the only person who has gained anything from this is perfect circle, who now knows that the way he was trying to clean up his .Gifs he was dropping frames.

And then we have this:
552c8m.jpg

I'm not following. Where was this posted before? Who is the poor kid you were referring to? Do you mean the other clip in the cage with the little kid that keeps popping up that some of the users refer to as barrel dump?

I'm guessing the one RayR posted while I was still typing?

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Hmmm...guy on the left starting from severe tipped position compared to Hamilton and very little going on below waist....yet still manages to look pretty darn close to Hamilton's barrel path...and from a different camera angle...so it looks like guy on left is bopping catcher on head

Here is a better angle of the barrel direction being taught...

m4eg.jpg

Actually he start with the same tip then forces an extreme tip with his hands/forearms. The tip that Hamilton has comes from a different source.
I'd like to see a full swing by Rich next to a full swing by Hammy to make a better comparison. Or if someone has a GIF of Hamilton doing this drill or practice move that Rich is doing then put them side by side.

May 16, 2010

552c8m.jpg

The pros are not doing anything close to what Teacherman is doing. It isn't camera angle. He is supinating his top hand, he is pulling the barrel toward the catcher. They are NOT supinating at all, and they are tipping the barrel behind their back and then toward the catcher.

Here is a better look at what the pros do. Bonds is not supinating, or pulling the barrel rearward. It flattens behind his back and then he throws it at the ball, just as he says he does, and how he has demonstrated it.

bonds01b.gif

After he gets to the second pause above, he then does what he showed Jenny Finch below;

bondstomhoksmall.gif

Last edited:
R

RayR

Hmmm...how does Bonds top hand/wrist get into such an extended position if it isnt supinating? It's the same action from the top hand/wrist as throwing a curve ball...the bottom hand applies opposite force in the way of pronation...

yoh6.jpg

How come Bonds top hand/wrist in the chop wood clip doesn't extend but instead gets into a position of flexion?

The pros are not doing anything close to what Teacherman is doing. It isn't camera angle. He is supinating his top hand, he is pulling the barrel toward the catcher. They are NOT supinating at all, and they are tipping the barrel behind their back and then toward the catcher.

Here is a better look at what the pros do. Bonds is not supinating, or pulling the barrel rearward. It flattens behind his back and then he throws it at the ball, just as he says he does, and how he has demonstrated it.

bonds01b.gif

After he gets to the second pause above, he then does what he showed Jenny Finch below;

bondstomhoksmall.gif

Dec 29, 2010
That tom hock chop every one raves about, his lead elbow goes down, i dont see this in his game swing his lead elbow juts. What am I missing?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Will you elaborate on what you mean when you say reverse c and capital c?

You can draw a forward or reverse "C" from the head to the feet in 3 of the hitters. Bonds obviously is not one of them.

PenaSteven.gif

BondsBrndn1.gif

Pena is not a high level hitter. .233 career

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles