Rolling the Shoulder at or after release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2015
My little one (9year old) took two weeks off from pitching. Yesterday we went back to work and now she is rolling her shoulder hard at or after release.
She is a right hand pitcher and to a right hand batter the ball is going outside. I've never noticed it before. We are going out again today. I will try to record and post it here. My question is this if she does it again tonight what advice do yall have for us to work through this?

Thanks in advance for yalls help.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Need a video....
No way to fully understand what she's doing with out one.
Get a side view, a 45° angle view, and a catchers view as well.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
it could be bad or could be very good, depends on what is causing it. In Ms. Rocket arm's case she is doing it mostly because of the amount of contact she is making with her side. Other pitchers do it because they are shouldering the ball which would not be a good thing.

video will tell you what the cause is.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Several elite pitchers roll the shoulder--in follow through. At release, their torsos are around 45-55 degrees. I prefer to start with an emphasis on not closing to make sure the close isn't forced in an effort to muscle the ball. Once they can whip with good posture and consistently at the hip (brush,) then I don't really care if they follow through. As already suggested--video will tell for sure, but I'd guess she needs to focus on the basics right now.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My little one (9year old) took two weeks off from pitching. Yesterday we went back to work and now she is rolling her shoulder hard at or after release.
She is a right hand pitcher and to a right hand batter the ball is going outside. I've never noticed it before. We are going out again today. I will try to record and post it here. My question is this if she does it again tonight what advice do yall have for us to work through this?

Thanks in advance for yalls help.

It is important to understand what is actually occurring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01