Riseball spin clips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is what the Dr. Nathan's article says at the end: "The foregoing analysis suggests that there is very little sideways break of a gyroball, a conclusion that is at odds with many of the claims I have seen on the web. The primary motion of the pitch is that it drops much more than a typical [BASEBALL] fastball." A "normal" baseball fastball has some small amount of backspin on the ball. Backspin gives the ball some lift.

So, the gyroball doesn't move.

Sorry...I don't make the laws of physics.

If you want to read "the truth" about the gyroball, here it is:

Unspinning the Mythical Pitch Gyroball

Last edited:

Edy

May 24, 2010
Don't be sorry, in fact I'm really relieved you don't make the laws of physics. I was beginning to suspect you did... Thanks for the clarification

I believe in what I see.
I really don't mind if the ball is spinning back, sideways or any possible angle you can imagine. If it works, then great.

But it's a fact that we have plenty of examples of balls spinning like a bullet (some of them, by the way, took me a lot of time to find and I'm happy to share) but you have provided no clips with SHARP image so you can really say it's spinning back.
As I stated before, I'm not saying that one can't put a pure backspin on the ball. I just have never seen it.
If you have any video proving your point, please share it with us.

Anyway, this weekend I'll be on the field pitching my bulletspin-riseball with no backspin, but with enough movement to strike some friends out.
Im sure I won't even think of spin direction by then..

Jul 1, 2013
"Anyway, this weekend I'll be on the field pitching my bulletspin-riseball with no backspin, but with enough movement to strike some friends out.
Im sure I won't even think of spin direction by then.. "

No such pitch as a bullet spin rise ball. Just a poorly thrown pitch located high in the zone, that catches out bat batters.

Combine that with the bullet spin drop ball and you have the set.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Balls- I'm glad you showed up, if memory serves me correctly you are a FP pitcher from down under, can you video an actual full pitch riseball from the perspective I have in the original post in enough clarity to see the seams? I used an Iphone 6 at it captured it pretty well.

Jul 1, 2013
Lol....Money where your mouth is.

Yes. I will record my rise this weekend and put tape on it so we can see the spin.

Jul 1, 2013
Ha...not a challenge.... I just want to see what good spin really looks like up close and it is very hard to find. I don't doubt that good spins are out there.

I re-read your original post and you mentioned world class. For the record I am B grade compared to the big boys.

Also all of the top pitchers here and they are some of the best in the business throw near straight back spin on their rises and at insane velocity.

We are hosting a national tournament this weekend and usually Adam Folkard, Andrew Kirkpatrick, Harry Peters and Joel Goodall all play but I'm not sure if they will show this year as the Aussie men's team is already selected for the world series.

There will still be some very good pitchers playing and I will attempt to get some footage of them in action.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Has anyone every caught a ball thrown from a jugs machine? Don't know how anyone will get anymore back spin than that. Definitely has a different look ( floats) but I don't see the rise.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just have never seen it.

Then you should get out more.

Most people can't throw a good rise ball or a good drop.

If you have any video proving your point, please share it with us.

I posted a clip that showed the spin. Then, I posted a link where you can download a better quality clip which clearly shows the spin. I also posted a chart showing data from the 2011 CWS.

It shows that some pitchers were getting a 10 to 15 inch break on the ball. Also, notice how rare it is. The conclusion:

It is hard to throw a backspin riseball.

Anyway, this weekend I'll be on the field pitching my bulletspin-riseball with no backspin, but with enough movement to strike some friends out.
Im sure I won't even think of spin direction by then..

Good for you.

Practically, there is a lot more going on with pitching than simply ball spin. But, it is important to define exactly what is going on with pitches.

Attachments

• vertical movement.JPG
    vertical movement.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 70

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00