Riseball spin clips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I am still trying to find world class riseball spin clips that are shot with a high enough FPS to be able to tell what the spin axis is. If anyone has a good clean clip where you can see the seams without blur please share it.

What I am trying to do is troubleshoot this spin, it has a backspin component, but it either has a precession or something because I cannot for the life of me identify a spot that is stationary on the ball.

Iphone 6 on slo mo (240 fps) was used to capture this...(not so subtle hint to all of you with more advances DDs and/or students that you can capture)

[video]https://youtu.be/ZvfMUD_afm0[/video]

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I don't know what the hell it is. When it comes at you in full speed it looks like it is halfway between bullet spin and RB spin, but the slower I look at it the more confused I get. the seams are not squared up either so that makes it harder to troubleshoot. But it sure does float a lot more than her drop so it is grabbing some air. This is why I want so desperately to see a real RB clip that can be slowed down to really see what is going on with the spin so I can compare the differences to an actual clip of a good Riseball and not just verbal descriptions of what people think they see since at full speed things can be deceptive.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
But it sure does float a lot more than her drop so it is grabbing some air.

I agree! My DD throws a similar ball. Definitely "stays up", and most batters miss it under or foul it off.
Now, if I could only get her throwing a reliable bona-fide Drop to compliment... <sigh>
(she's working on it)

She basically throws this bullet/rise, a kinda corkscrew curve (which is about the same as the first pitch,maybe a bit different axis? but spinning noticeably faster. doesn't break a whole lot, most times...), and a change.
If she could get a good drop working, she'd be a whole lot more effective. Nasty, even...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
See if you can get good high speed video of it. My goal is not just to help DD improve her spin quality but also to put some concrete images of the riser, both in the developmental stage and the more refined stages. I have searched so much and all I can find are blurry images of risers or pitches that I think are bullet spins. Even that clip of Sarah Pauly that is floating around looks like 90% bullet to me. I know there are RBs out there with nice tight mostly backspin and I am going to find a clip if it kills me.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Here are two photos of Pauly showing me the riseball grip that he prefers if the pitchers fingers are long enough. The index finger needs to be spring-loaded. That is not only is the tip of the index finger jammed into the edge of the seam, the inside (or palm side) knuckle of the index finger is pressed against the ball. It's this spring-loaded action that helps pop the ball out to the right axis orientation for a riseball.

Riseball and curveball grip 2.jpgRiseball and curveball grip.jpginside of index knuckle.jpg

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Here are two photos of Pauly showing me the riseball grip that he prefers if the pitchers fingers are long enough. The index ginger needs to be spring-loaded. That is not only is the tip of the index finger jammed into the edge of the seam, the inside knuckle of the index finger is pressed against the ball. It's this spring-loaded action that helps pop the ball out to the right axis orientation for a riseball.

View attachment 8241View attachment 8242

Ahhh...very interesting. One of the things I was curious about was whether or not her straight 4 seam grip could be adjusted to get the seams in a better orientation to the axis. She will try this.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
That is not only is the tip of the index finger jammed into the edge of the seam, the inside knuckle of the index finger is pressed against the ball.

Ok, I'm confused. How does one press the tip of the index finger into the seam and get the side of the index knuckle to touch the ball too?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse