Riseball spin clips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
In any regard, take note of the pitch profile ..... that is what you are trying to replicate.

20ix6w3.gif

Why do you insist on telling people what they are doing? Right now I am trying to get a read on the spin part of good riseballs. Saying to just try to achieve the profile is like telling a hitter to not worry about hand path, all you care about is if the ball goes over the fence once in a while.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Mothgirl, the CU seemed to be the goto pitch for some many pitchers in the Series. I was stunned on how many CUs UCLA's pitcher threw. Become the master of that pitch before advancing to the next.

I got to see Carda in action for the first time, in their xtra-inning loss to auburn this past Saturday night,
and was also impressed by her use of the change - both in frequency and location.

One thing I learned: even a very high level pitcher like this who has an excellent change throws a few in the dirt, occasionally.

I loved how the Auburn batters had so much respect for Carda's change that they simply did not swing at it,
and seemed content to take the strike vs hitting a bad ball for an out. I only saw the last 3-4 innings of regulation and the extra innings, but I can't recall a single Auburn batter taking a cut at a change?

Another thing I learned: if the pitcher has a good rise, she can "hang" a change, and it doesn't matter as long as the speed differential is great enough. Carda was looping them in there belly-high, but because they were setup by her rise (20mph faster) the batters couldn't adjust. Aside from her "hop" (which was pretty blatant!), I was pretty impressed with Carda, and the pitch sequencing and selections. Cool stuff...

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Corley- that was an interesting couple of innings, just so you know, Carda was throwing the CU there as a desperate measure because she had lost command of her stuff. In a normal game she would throw it 3-4 times an inning, not 3-4 per batter.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I got to see Carda in action for the first time, in their xtra-inning loss to auburn this past Saturday night,
and was also impressed by her use of the change - both in frequency and location.

One thing I learned: even a very high level pitcher like this who has an excellent change throws a few in the dirt, occasionally.

I loved how the Auburn batters had so much respect for Carda's change that they simply did not swing at it,
and seemed content to take the strike vs hitting a bad ball for an out. I only saw the last 3-4 innings of regulation and the extra innings, but I can't recall a single Auburn batter taking a cut at a change?

Another thing I learned: if the pitcher has a good rise, she can "hang" a change, and it doesn't matter as long as the speed differential is great enough. Carda was looping them in there belly-high, but because they were setup by her rise (20mph faster) the batters couldn't adjust. Aside from her "hop" (which was pretty blatant!), I was pretty impressed with Carda, and the pitch sequencing and selections. Cool stuff...

She even managed to hit batters with the change too. One in the helmet!
On the other hand she did appear to not give the pitch away with her motion.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is a better quality video of Besta throwing a riseball. It is pretty clear the ball has 1-7 backspin.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/adpE0ipg4Dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Who wants to guess at what this is? Outside rise? Screw? dare I say a two seam RB? I dunno. but it has good offset backspin, but only two seams are rotating.

[video=youtube_share;NWnNxYTwBZ8]http://youtu.be/NWnNxYTwBZ8[/video]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55