Riseball spin clips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Edy

May 24, 2010
here is a decent clip of a Haeger RB.

I have good tools to grab these now so if anyone has specific shots from the games where ESPN shows the close up the of the pitch like these, let me know and I will capture them. Just post the inning, which half of the inning, and which at bat and I can take it from there. ESPN likes to show these types of replays after the out is recorded and especially if a half inning ends on a strikeout.

JJ,

Please, can you capture this one with your tools??

LSU vs Auburn, may 28, first inning, top half, second batter, third strike.

Slow motion replay with camera behind catcher. Good chance it's a 1-7 backspin, but my copy is low definition

2015 NCAA Softball WCWS – game #2 – LSU vs Auburn.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
JJ,

Please, can you capture this one with your tools??

LSU vs Auburn, may 28, first inning, top half, second batter, third strike.

Slow motion replay with camera behind catcher. Good chance it's a 1-7 backspin, but my copy is low definition

View attachment 8294

Thanks!

Here it is. These images are not nearly as good as the ones they show live during the broadcast on TV. On TV I can see the spin during these close ups quite well, but on the watch ESPN replays the quality is not as good, or my bandwidth or video chip is not good enough because I am not seeing the spin nearly as well.

I think we just need an army of bucket dads with Iphone 6s getting well lit spins from the bucket at 240 fps.

[video=youtube_share;msElUa_Pnlk]http://youtu.be/msElUa_Pnlk[/video]

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think there is a nice slow motion shot of Hailey Wagner throwing a rise in the 6th and her throwing a "curve" in the 7th. (It didn't curve.)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Lauren Heager in slow motion (watch in 1080p)

I see it as mostly bullet spin.

2h3wwfd.gif

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OMG, I agree with FFS...

"Fascinating captain. A strange world where all pitches have bullet spin, yet they have different names. Apparently, the life forms do not know how to use the terms "low, inside or high".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
OMG, I agree with FFS...

"Fascinating captain. A strange world where all pitches have bullet spin, yet they have different names. Apparently, the life forms do not know how to use the terms "low, inside or high".

Given enough time you may eventually agree with BH, MW, FFS and many others on the drop/fb sameness as well.

[

Last edited by a moderator:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Given enough time you may eventually agree with MW, FFS and many others on the drop/fb sameness as well.

Yep...when you finally see I'm right and you are wrong.

Last edited:

Edy

May 24, 2010
I just don't get it... is it that much difficult to see that the spins are so different (although both seem to be bullet like)?
Life is not just white and black.. there's also 50 shades of gray in between (sorry for the pun)

It sounds like we must have perfect backspin axis or perfect bulletspin axis to make a point..

Please compare the rise and the screwball axis.. The first is pointing up and the second is pointing down and to the right.. This may have something to do with the movement. Doesn't it?
Now compare this effect to the infamous gyroball (no, I'm trying to call a RB with a new name) The so called gyroball is a bulletspin ball that curves/drops/float depending on the direction the axis is tilted just before reaching the plate
OMG, that makes sense! Maybe the RB hasn't the perfect backspin axis but its axis is tilted by the pitcher's will and it gets lift from the effect (less than a pure backspin).

More here: http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/PhysicsGyro.htm
And here: The Gyroball

As for the off speed pitch, it's clear to me the ball is NOT bulletspining.

Edit: just in case, if you can see that SB spinning purely sideways and/or the RB with pure backspin, please go see your doctor... you might need a pair of glasses :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414