Ricketts out, Hawkins in... Team USA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Keilani Ricketts, the two-time National Collegiate Player of the Year, informed the USA Softball Women’s National Team that she will not be a part of the team.

Ricketts is sitting out the World Cup of Softball VIII due to a contractual obligation with a Japanese League softball team, although that team does not begin playing until September. Before signing with a team in Japan, Ricketts said she turned down a two-year deal to become the face of the Amateur Softball Association.

Ricketts, a two-time national team player, would have more than likely started for Team USA when it faced Canada in an opening game. The World Cup runs Thursday through Sunday at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City.

Ricketts told The Oklahoman on Wednesday she is just “chilling out at home” right now in California.

“She had a business decision to make,” USA Softball spokesman Ronnie Isham told The Norman Transcript, “and that business decision did not include Team USA.”

Isham said Ricketts’ decision caught USA Softball off guard.

Over the last two summers, the left-hander has helped Team USA win the 2012 World Cup of Softball and silver medal at the 2012 International Softball Federation XIII Women’s World Fastpitch Championship.

Ricketts, who pitched for the 2013 national champion Oklahoma Sooners, made Team USA along with OU teammates Lauren Chamberlain and Destinee Martinez. All three players took part in the three-day selection camp and were chosen out of 32 players for the 18-person roster.

In addition to winning the national championship and Collegiate Player of the Year award, Ricketts was also won the 2013 Honda Cup, which goes to the nation’s top female college athlete.

Ricketts finished her senior season with a 35-1 record, a 1.23 earned run average and threw six no hitters, the last one in the Women’s College World Series.

She was also a threat at the plate, collecting 15 home runs and 60 RBIs. Ricketts drove in all four runs in OU’s 4-0 national championship victory over Tennessee.

Sheridan Hawkins or Oregon is Ricketts’ replacement on the roster. Hawkins finished her freshman season with a 19-5 record, 212 strikeouts and 1.55 ERA.

She had 19 starts last season and appeared in 39 games. In the postseason, the left-hander only allowed six hits and one run in 15 innings pitched.

Without the Olympics to look forward to I would expect lots of player to start making these kinds of decisions, most will probably opt for at least a year playing for team USA just to pad their coaching/instructor resumes but I would not expect too many long term commitment to team USA in the future. It is an awesome privilege to play for your country and like I said most will do it for a while for the experience and honor but winning a softball world championship does not hold a candle to the goal of winning a Olympic Gold medal

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At some point in time, these ladies have to start making some money. I bet Keilani really wanted to play with Team USA, but that won't put a pay check in the bank. I think that the Rickett's family probably know the business side of softball, pretty well. She will be missed and it won't be the same without her.

Dec 20, 2012
Kinda what I was thinking. Now that college is over the endorsements, appearances, and things like that will keep her busy and earning some $$.

Apr 11, 2012
from what I have been told by a Team USA player, who played in Japan for three years, the WMLS teams are all corporate sponsored....the players work 4 hours a day for their respective corporation and the rest of the day includes practice or games....each team is allowed 2 or 3 non-native players who are only required to play softball....

Women Major League Softball International

Jan 29, 2012
Left off the part where she told them she wanted to play USA ball this summer (without a contract) but they mandated she either sign a contract right now or she was out. She wasn't ready to commit for two years to them so she walked.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
According to Ricketts, this was the first time Team USA has ever asked her to sign a contract and she was the only player asked to sign one.

May 13, 2013
Went to the USSSA Pride game tonight in Kissimmee Fl. and guess who was there!

Keilani was mobbed during inning 3 for autographs and whatnot. She took it all in stride and was VERY VERY nice. She signed balls and took photos in between innings. She was up and down and in and out of her row multiple times and was just very nice about it all.

I was surprised to see her there because my mom called in the middle of the game and mentioned team USA was playing Canada. Thats what happens when I miss the boards for a few days.

Mar 13, 2010
Was going to say ASA shot themselves in the foot over this one. Th don't have the Olympics as a draw card and while I'm sure they'd love to do both, they can't keep these women out of paying gigs.

A lot of the Aussies play in tournaments overseas, quite a few don't make it back for the domestic season (mainly the women in college) here which is our summer, northern winter. But they're all the for international gigs. They might start at different places but they're all there in the end.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah