Ricketts out, Hawkins in... Team USA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
She'll be almost 30 by then. Not likely.

lisa fernadez age 33 in 2004 olympics
dot richardson 38 in 2000 olympics
michelle smith 33 in 2000, 29 in 96 olympics
uneo 31 and still throwing
and numerous in the 26-29 range, maybe not likely but definitely possible. she will be playing pro ball in Japan not sitting around the house. the olympic team will be getting the best US player in the world not college. 28-30 is prime of life, nit the end of it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2013
and numerous in the 26-29 range, maybe not likely but definitely possible. she will be playing pro ball in Japan not sitting around the house. the olympic team will be getting the best US player in the world not college. 28-30 is prime of life, nit the end of it.

That's a very fair point. Didn't mean to imply "over the hill" but that they seem to be moving in the "younger" direction. Which I don't totally agree with, for what it's worth. If she is available and if they are in the Olympics (which I'm afraid is very long shot unless Tokyo gets the games,) that would be terrific.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Does playing NPF affect a players eligibility for playing on the Olympic team?

Jul 13, 2013
Does playing NPF affect a players eligibility for playing on the Olympic team?

It shouldn't. Professionals are permitted to play in the Olympics. No different than NBA or NHL players participating in the Olympics. Only question would be if USA Softball did something asinine and spiteful by deciding that they did not want any NPF players since they "chose" NPF over USA Softball. Wouldn't think something like that happening would be even remotely possible, but after the Ricketts fiasco, who knows?

Dec 20, 2012
That's a very fair point. Didn't mean to imply "over the hill" but that they seem to be moving in the "younger" direction. Which I don't totally agree with, for what it's worth. If she is available and if they are in the Olympics (which I'm afraid is very long shot unless Tokyo gets the games,) that would be terrific.

I agree they are going in the younger direction and with the college coaches bringing in their players, ie Moore, Hawkins, and Nevins. I just think there are very few BIG names in softball that people outside of the game know, right now Ricketts is one of them. And who knows who that might be in 7 yrs. But if Ricketts has the staying power, like Fernadez, Finch, or Smith, I would just be curious if they would bring her back. If for nothing more than drawing a crowd and throwing a few innings here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell