Regionalism

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I looked at the rosters of the top 25 D1 programs a few years ago and about 25% of the players were from California, which is greater than California’s percentage of the total population.
Any other trend in that research?

Feb 3, 2016
Any other trend in that research?
If you were recruiting and only had a certain amount of cash and time to get it done.

Would you go to the hottest and most humid places on earth, or spend time in CA or Florida?

Why travel by car for days to the expasive midwest for 3 girls if you can get an entire graduating softball year-class committed in one workday day in Cali. to fill all roster spots?

Golf, good eats, site seeing, plus great weather!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If you want to just look at college records. You have to factor in the amount of travel that a northern team has. Michigan played 2/3rds of their schedule on the road. And many of those road games were to the SEC or the West for tourneys early in the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the first time they “practiced” on an actual outdoor field was the first game of their schedule. It’s a tough first 4-6 weeks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you were recruiting and only had a certain amount of cash and time to get it done.

Would you go to the hottest and most humid places on earth, or spend time in CA or Florida?

Why travel by car for days to the expasive midwest for 3 girls if you can get an entire graduating softball year-class committed in one workday day in Cali. to fill all roster spots?

Golf, good eats, site seeing, plus great weather!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My response is do to current playing restrictions showcase & camps in calif. Oregon and washington...people from calif in greater #'s are going to the midwest where games are being played. And college camps are scheduled in sept...& on.

Additionally the D1's in calif. Hearing mostly every senior is taking advantage of extendid eligibilty there are less opportunities here.
Our big D1's stacked already.

hottist most humid
vs. hot and expensive.
Living cost.

Cal States in calif generally dont recruit out of state because its a double tuition cost. Then ouch housing.

Plus 40million people in calif creates more in state competition...to live at home and play.

Just sharing scenario

Know several players whose plans have changed do to covi situation....
Now seeking midwest simply to showcase to play somewhere in college.

Travel Teams have to go out of state if they want a tournament.
Hello drive to states Arizona, Nevada, Utah,

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I remember the thread about D1 rosters by players home state. There was a lot of interesting info in it- I couldn’t find it.

It’s pretty hard to argue against the influence of Cali when it comes to softball. Here is the thing though- when you are looking for players, one region should be part of your solution, not THE solution.

There are some midwest D1’s that are great examples of this. They got the leftovers from sexy sounding places and teams that weren’t as good as what is in their back yard. Sometimes because it’s much more fun to get on a plane and go to much more interesting places than Normal, lol.

Several years ago, Illinois State picked one up, so did Kentucky. Pitchers that weren’t really on anyone’s radar and were among the best out there. You wouldn’t see them at Huntington Beach because they weren’t there. That’s all I’m saying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13