Recruiting from the transfer portal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
From my limited first-hand vantage point, I don't see how the recruiting process should be much affected.
🤷‍♀️ possibly you are not looking at the time frame of when positions become open on a roster and how long it takes to recruit players?!
Because both
Have already been affected.
*The point of commenting of hearing college coaches saying 'I don't know if I have a spot available yet until'
that is after the end of their season, possibly needing to recruit a player for the coming season a couple months away.
( my previous comments are not an opinion that 'might' happen rather are feedback from what 'has' happened.)
* perhaps the new rules for jumping on the transfer portal earlier will help make an adjustment in how late coaches are finding out what players are doing.

Unless there's that top prospect expecting to start as a freshman in a position potentially occupied by a 5th-year player (not common), then the coach goes out and fills their incoming roster with the best available players.

The decision isn't only the player's. The coach likely knows who wants to return and, more importantly, whether they will offer a spot (and money) to that 5th-year player if they do wish to return. From what I understand, that extra year of eligibility doesn't carry any obligation to guarantee any 5th-year player a spot.
Actually no. Coaches have not known in advance and haven't found out until the end of a season . that's the difficulty.
From what I've seen, a freshman who is good enough WILL play. It's the more "average" freshman who might not play much immediately, and the "barely good enough" freshman who is in more danger of getting stepped over by a transfer or someone from the next recruiting class than a 5th year player.
And players who are already on rosters are sitting more while super seniors are playing. That is creating shuffling of the transfer portal because playing time and money are influencers.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Recruits that are looking for a college to go play for are finding out that rosters are overly full at colleges with 5th Year super seniors there is less money and no money and therefore have to do extra research because they're first researching the colleges that are on their lists and then finding out this predicament which makes them have to search further.

It all takes time and money. Because the information is not just readily available they have to go through the process of getting a hold of coaches and if the coach is interested in them if in the predicament the coach would even talk with them. Then they find out the predicament. It has certainly added to the rigmarore of trying to get recruited.

Player wants to go to this D1 school. That D1 school has seniors that are undecided of their super senior year coach is on a holding pattern tells the possible new recruit hey I'm interested in you but I don't know if I have a spot. The predicament for the new recruit is either wait wait to see what happens there or seek out further possible opportunities. That can turn out to be exactly the same situation. That now the recruit goes and looks for another hopeful College opportunity. It has certainly affected recruiting. And I think is * possibly driving the reason of why the transfer portal has become a 50% option for college recruitment.

The player they could have possibly picked up had to move on. The transport portal players need a place also and they are readily available.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I agree RAD.

I imagine if a super senior could easily be beat out by an incoming recruit then the coach would have a conversation with that senior. I think in most cases with the super seniors the coaches know what they have and can expect from that player so it makes it easier for the coach to keep them on. Even with a top recruit (talking low to mid-major D1), college ball is a whole different animal and that stud recruit might not produce as expected when they get to campus. I can see why the coaches might stick with the known vs unknown.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I agree RAD.

I imagine if a super senior could easily be beat out by an incoming recruit then the coach would have a conversation with that senior. I think in most cases with the super seniors the coaches know what they have and can expect from that player so it makes it easier for the coach to keep them on. Even with a top recruit (talking low to mid-major D1), college ball is a whole different animal and that stud recruit might not produce as expected when they get to campus. I can see why the coaches might stick with the known vs unknown.
Part of this discussion is what money is available.

Not sure I recall hearing if college sports programs were given more money during this super senior situation??? Any DFP'ers having feedback on that?

Have heard college coaches saying no increased money though. Some making adjustments with money allocations they already have.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Actually no. Coaches have not known in advance and haven't found out until the end of a season . that's the point coaches don't know until late even after their season which directly affects the time frame of recruiting new players.

If a coach doesn't know a current player's intentions, it's because they...

1) Haven't asked
2) Don't care
3) The player won't make a decision

The coach isn't the hostage you claim, or at least doesn't have to be. They should and, from what I've seen, do make decisions based on the information at hand and the long-term health of their roster. They're under no obligation to play, pay, or even roster a 5th-year player.

You can't generalize this. Not all 5th-years are dominant players flocking to OU, et al. I've seen 5th-years retained, and I've seen others play their last year on another lower-level team because there were younger players, including freshman, who were going to pass them by.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If a coach doesn't know a current player's intentions, it's because they...

1) Haven't asked
2) Don't care
3) The player won't make a decision

The coach isn't the hostage you claim, or at least doesn't have to be. They should and, from what I've seen, make decisions based on the information at hand and the long-term health of their roster. They're under no obligation to play, pay, or even roster a 5th-year player.

You can't generalize this. Not all 5th-years are dominant players flocking to OU, et al. I've seen 5th-years retained, and I've seen others play their last year on another lower-level team because there were younger players, including freshman, who were going to pass them by.
I didn't say the coach is a hostage,
they go on holding pattern.

You seem to think this is happening at the top top colleges, it is not.
it is happening all over. Every D1 team seniors have to make a decision.

As a coach, What would you do if you had a player who had been playing for you for several years and player isn't sure yet nor decided if they wanted to stay their 5th year or not?
This is happening After the end of the season going into summer. Then you have basically weeks to recruit someone after that players decision.

What would you do if the coach said hey I'm interested in recruiting your daughter but I don't know if I have a spot yet? And you've already graduated high school and you have to make a decision. A direction somewhere to find a college

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
As a coach, What would you do if you had a player who had been playing for you for several years and player isn't sure yet nor decided if they wanted to stay their 5th year or not?

Exactly what I see the coaches I'm in position to directly observe doing. They recruit for the future and get the best available players. If a player can't/won't decide, that's their problem. Any obligation/loyalty I might feel towards them is severely diminished by their indecision.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Exactly what I see the coaches I'm in position to directly observe doing. They recruit for the future and get the best available players. If a player can't/won't decide, that's their problem. Any obligation/loyalty I might feel towards them is severely diminished by their indecision.
Coaches can't recruit another player if they don't have a spot available. 🤷‍♀️
And currently they are in a situation where they won't know about several positions until after the senior makes their decision. Seniors do not have to make their decision ahead of time.
What would you do if the coach said hey I'm interested in recruiting your daughter but I don't know if I have a spot yet? And you've already graduated high school and you have to make a decision. A direction somewhere to find a college
??? What would you do?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If a coach is saying that to me, it's apparent that they aren't THAT interested.
You seem to be missing the point that there are only so many spots.
Or you think college coaches can pick up as many players as they want?

The coach that is taking the time to reach out and have PHONE conversations with a player are showing they 'are interested'.
especially if they are also sharing the predicament of the situation.

*If a Coach is not truly interested in a player they are not reaching out over the phone having that conversation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13