Recruiting from the transfer portal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
What do you think about the ripple effect from 5th year option when the coach doesn't know if they have a spot they need to fill while trying to connect /communicate with possible recruits in line?
The coach is put in a holding pattern.

*Every D1 senior that's playing on a roster has to make that decision. And the coach has to wait for that decision.
( for the years that apply to 5th year option)

DD is a freshman on a mid major D1 and 4 of the 5 seniors this year are coming back for next year. There are 5 incoming 2023’s for next year. Should be interesting. Assuming everyone currently a frosh, soph, and junior stay on that will be a roster of 24 at a program that is not fully funded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD is a freshman on a mid major D1 and 4 of the 5 seniors this year are coming back for next year. There are 5 incoming 2023’s for next year. Should be interesting.
Playing time
Assuming everyone currently a frosh, soph, and junior stay on that will be a roster of 24 at a program that is not fully funded.

and $$$$

Are strong influencers

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD is a freshman on a mid major D1 and 4 of the 5 seniors this year are coming back for next year. There are 5 incoming 2023’s for next year. Should be interesting. Assuming everyone currently a frosh, soph, and junior stay on that will be a roster of 24 at a program that is not fully funded.

It's fall. You can't count on anything. I bet there will be more than 5 incoming freshman along with some transfers. Highly doubtful that your DD's freshman class will remain intact as well as a few of the others. Odds are not good. DD has an SEC transfer teammate from last year that is not on the roster and is doubtful for the spring.

May 16, 2016
Timely announcement, given this discussion...

DI Council modifies transfer rules for postgraduate students

Media Center 9/21/2022 6:27:00 PM Meghan Durham

Student-athletes who will enroll at another school after graduating are now allowed to enter the Transfer Portal at any time, the Division I Council decided during its virtual meeting Wednesday.

On Aug. 31, the Division I Board of Directors adopted new transfer rules — effective immediately — that required student-athletes to enter the Transfer Portal during sport-specific transfer windows.

After today's Council action, student-athletes who plan to compete the following year as postgraduate students are exempt from those windows. Today's action does not exempt the students from implications associated with the decision to enter the Transfer Portal, including the reduction or cancellation of athletics financial aid for their next academic term.

"The college application process occurs earlier in the year for graduate students, and today's vote provides immediate relief for college students who are interested in pursuing graduate programs at other schools next year while competing in their given sports," said Lynda Tealer, vice chair of the Division I Council and executive associate athletics director at Florida. "The Council will continue to evaluate this issue and consider more permanent modifications to rules related to postgraduate participation."

Postgraduate students will be subject to deadlines to enter the Transfer Portal:
(I think this is a typo and should read "Will Not be subject to")
  • Fall and winter sports: May 1.
  • Spring sports: July 1.
The postgraduate transfer rules approved today are effective immediately. The Council will continue to discuss the application of rules to postgraduate students.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Timely announcement, given this discussion...

Thank you for posting it!
Postgraduate students will be subject to deadlines to enter the Transfer Portal:
(I think this is a typo and should read "Will Not be subject to")
Lol, typo...or
NCAA way of continuing to be confusing, controlling and difficult 🤷‍♀️🥳

That last sentence, lol...
'The council will continue to discuss the application of rules to postgraduate students.'
ADD
AS THEY FIGURE OUT WHAT THEIR DOING!

Dec 11, 2010
I’ll throw something out there..sometimes life isn’t fair…What’s done is done. It wasn’t like they were given a 5th year for no reason (not engaging in any silly politicized debate on this). Debating the supposed atrocities that are being committed to potential recruits and players due to it is pointless.

This isn’t about an 8 YO kid not having enough food or a chance at proper education because of circumstances beyond their control. It’s about college softball..you can get an education without it.
Yep.

A little perspective is in order here.

Dec 11, 2010
It's fall. You can't count on anything. I bet there will be more than 5 incoming freshman along with some transfers. Highly doubtful that your DD's freshman class will remain intact as well as a few of the others. Odds are not good. DD has an SEC transfer teammate from last year that is not on the roster and is doubtful for the spring.
This is absolutely correct. Next year is forever from now, even this coming spring is a long way away.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Its a hard situation
'can't count on anything' is a predicament for everybody involved on a team, players, coaches and recruits included.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What do you think about the ripple effect from 5th year option when the coach doesn't know if they have a spot they need to fill while trying to connect /communicate with possible recruits in line?
The coach is put in a holding pattern.

*Every D1 senior that's playing on a roster has to make that decision. And the coach has to wait for that decision.
( for the years that apply to 5th year option)

From my limited first-hand vantage point, I don't see how the recruiting process should be much affected.

Unless there's that top prospect expecting to start as a freshman in a position potentially occupied by a 5th-year player (not common), then the coach goes out and fills their incoming roster with the best available players.

The decision isn't only the player's. The coach likely knows who wants to return and, more importantly, whether they will offer a spot (and money) to that 5th-year player if they do wish to return. From what I understand, that extra year of eligibility doesn't carry any obligation to guarantee any 5th-year player a spot.

From what I've seen, a freshman who is good enough WILL play. It's the more "average" freshman who might not play much immediately, and the "barely good enough" freshman who is in more danger of getting stepped over by a transfer or someone from the next recruiting class than a 5th year player.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom