Recruiting from the transfer portal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
From another thread~
How about this Factor
Being able to be part of the team that actually suits up?!

Screenshot_20220927-090849_Chrome.jpg

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Are you saying that you know college coaches that don't give a hoot if they're seniors that have played with them want to finish their 5th year after losing a year to covid?

Are you saying you know college coaches who are directly in phone conversation offering a scholarship spot to players when they don't actually have a spot to offer yet?

( of which I know college coaches will try to recruit several players at the same time but that doesn't mean they're actually offering them a spot at that time)

Certainly there is a lot of hodgepodge that goes on with recruiting so I can imagine some underhandedness might happen. But those things would be in addition to the problems that I've commented on previously.

Why would a coach with even half a brain wait on any player who won't make a decision? I don't understand that thinking.

College coaches control their rosters, not players. College coaches decide how many spots they have, who fills them, and how their money is apportioned, not players. If a coach chooses to allow a player to drive their decision-making, I guess that's on them. If they commit money to the wrong places, that's on them as well. Not signing a solid prospect because of an indecisive 5th year player (or any 5th year player) is seriously short-sighted, and I'm skeptical that it happens much.

May 18, 2022
I listened to a podcast yesterday with Josh Johnson of Mississippi State, I thought it was interesting to hear his point of view on the transfer portal and recruiting. I don't want to misquote him, but here is the link if anybody is interested. The Rundown - ep23

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Why would a coach with even half a brain wait on any player who won't make a decision? I don't understand that thinking.
Examples~

Because the players lost out on a year of playing in college. And are given the opportunity to extend another year.

Because the player makes a good fit with that team.

Because the player is considering whether or not they want to do a 5th year of college along with playing.

Because the player is older and has years more experience.

Because the player has been loyal to the program.

College coaches control their rosters, not players. College coaches decide how many spots they have, who fills them, and how their money is apportioned, not players. If a coach chooses to allow a player to drive their decision-making,

I guess that's on them.
For the reasons they deem important.
If they commit money to the wrong places, that's on them as well.
For the reasons they deem important.
Not signing a solid prospect
What is considered a solid Prospect when players can use the transfer portal anytime? Maybe they are in a stage where they are building yearly instead of projected out?

How often is an incoming freshman to college better than a player who has played a couple years now on the transfer portal?

All of those reasons contribute to why players are using the transfer portal.
And why college coaches are recruiting from the transfer portal.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Make a rule. Pick a date by which the 5th year seniors have to declare their intentions. Also make a rule the says players can only enter the Portal once and it cannot be your 5th year. So player has to decide by January 15th if she is going to play her 5th year and knows that if she does it will be for her current school.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
With regards to this, MLB has the advantage of having multiple years to develop a SS into a CF. College softball (and even moreso, HS softball) isn't afforded that luxury. That said, 2/3 of OU's OF last year played SS in TB (and Brito even played there at Oregon before she transferred).

I'm not saying those two can't play the OF, but OU had the luxury of scoring 9+ runs per game. You don't need great outfielders if you're gonna do that.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
SS to the OF, Is that... if they can hit ~ Find a place for the player on the field~ because somebody still has to play defense.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not saying those two can't play the OF, but OU had the luxury of scoring 9+ runs per game. You don't need great outfielders if you're gonna do that.
I am sure Coleman did a decent amount of work in the OF growing up. As a LH thrower, and as good as she was, they knew the type of team she was going to play for in college wasn’t going to have her play SS..

Aug 7, 2018
My DD goes to a school where the coach she built a relationship with and signed her got fired right after DD graduated high school. Last year as a freshman she started, but this year he brought in a ton of girls with a bunch from the portal that are grad students. So shes getting triple whammied by covid. Lost her junior hs season, lost recruiting opportunities bc of covid, and now girls who graduated college and still have a year of eligibility bc of covid coming in taking opportunities away. Needless to say she has barely gotten any time in scrimmages. Major bummer but she loves the school so she won't leave.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD goes to a school where the coach she built a relationship with and signed her got fired right after DD graduated high school. Last year as a freshman she started, but this year he brought in a ton of girls with a bunch from the portal that are grad students. So shes getting triple whammied by covid. Lost her junior hs season, lost recruiting opportunities bc of covid, and now girls who graduated college and still have a year of eligibility bc of covid coming in taking opportunities away. Needless to say she has barely gotten any time in scrimmages. Major bummer but she loves the school so she won't leave.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
My only advice for your kid, is to stick it out and stay hungry. She will get opportunities. Sometimes those grad students aren't as hungry as the lower classman. She will need to step up Jr and Sr seasons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee