Recruiting from the transfer portal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Is the 5th year eligibility available for more than one class? What grad years are allowed this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Any NCAA college player that was playing in spring of 2020.

DD was a 2020 grad. She lost her senior year of hs softball and will never have a year of college softball without playing with/against super seniors.

He also said that when they recruit they take notice of how many TB teams/orgs. players have been on. Looking for some loyalty when recruiting.
These coaches always say this kind of stuff unless it happens to be a player they want. In those cases it’s ok if the parents carry her bag to the parking lot, the kid has been on 7 teams and her dad is an obvious nut job. Then all this “we only recruit good kids and families” stuff goes out the window.

Jun 8, 2016
These coaches always say this kind of stuff unless it happens to be a player they want. In those cases it’s ok if the parents carry her bag to the parking lot, the kid has been on 7 teams and her dad is an obvious nut job. Then all this “we only recruit good kids and families” stuff goes out the window.
Talent ALWAYS trumps everything else. Men’s professional sports is full of players these coaches “would never consider”.,,,

Apr 14, 2022
Yes. Any NCAA college player that was playing in spring of 2020.

DD was a 2020 grad. She lost her senior year of hs softball and will never have a year of college softball without playing with/against super seniors.

What softball dad is not a nut job?

May 16, 2016
1. The rich will get richer, but for every player who leaves a team, that's an opportunity that just opened up for someone else.
Not with the extra Covid year of eligibility. You have graduated 5th years, transferring to a new school to get a year of Graduate school paid for, eliminating a spot normally filled by an incoming freshman. Then it's the domino effect, ending with some freshman not getting to play college ball, who otherwise would have.

Dec 11, 2010
Not with the extra Covid year of eligibility. You have graduated 5th years, transferring to a new school to get a year of Graduate school paid for, eliminating a spot normally filled by an incoming freshman. Then it's the domino effect, ending with some freshman not getting to play college ball, who otherwise would have.
I’m not sure about that! Colleges still had to recruit freshmen because they didn’t know that, for example, Alex Storako would be available…. Right? What happens to those freshman commits? Less money or what?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

I think you're overestimating the number of players exercising that 5th year. Yes, there are some bigger names going to top schools as grad students hoping to get a WCWS ring, but most teams are not in that race. There may be the odd fifth year senior, and some freshman may have to wait an extra year to get into the lineup. If they're a good enough for the team they're on, they'll be fine.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think you're overestimating the number of players exercising that 5th year.
What do you think about the ripple effect from 5th year option when the coach doesn't know if they have a spot they need to fill while trying to connect /communicate with possible recruits in line?
The coach is put in a holding pattern.

*Every D1 senior that's playing on a roster has to make that decision. And the coach has to wait for that decision.
( for the years that apply to 5th year option)

Jun 8, 2016
I’ll throw something out there..sometimes life isn’t fair…What’s done is done. It wasn’t like they were given a 5th year for no reason (not engaging in any silly politicized debate on this). Debating the supposed atrocities that are being committed to potential recruits and players due to it is pointless.

This isn’t about an 8 YO kid not having enough food or a chance at proper education because of circumstances beyond their control. It’s about college softball..you can get an education without it. If you just want to play softball go play professional softball somewhere after HS (yes I know, that isn't realistic for most kids...).

If my kid couldn’t find a school to play for because of the fifth year option then she probably didn’t want to play that badly to begin with. If she isn’t getting playing time because of a fifth year then she isn’t good enough...🤷🏽‍♂️

The actual portal topic is a different one..

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’ll throw something out there..sometimes life isn’t fair…What’s done is done. It wasn’t like they were given a 5th year for no reason (not engaging in any silly politicized debate on this). Debating the supposed atrocities that are being committed to potential recruits and players due to it is pointless.

This isn’t about an 8 YO kid not having enough food or a chance at proper education because of circumstances beyond their control. It’s about college softball..you can get an education without it. If you just want to play softball go play professional softball somewhere after HS (yes I know, that isn't realistic for most kids...).

If my kid couldn’t find a school to play for because of the fifth year option then she probably didn’t want to play that badly to begin with. If she isn’t getting playing time because of a fifth year then she isn’t good enough...🤷🏽‍♂️
✔️
The actual portal topic is a different one..
Agree!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06