Really turned my stomach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2011
I was watching the news with my dd when this bus video was shown. Without even saying anything, I looked over at dd and she was crying, so sad for this poor woman being harassed. I was touched to see her respond this way, and we had a good discussion about it. We both agreed that the parents of these children have dropped the ball in teaching their kids to respect others. As my children know, if this had been them there would be severe consequences and a public apology. No excuses from us. The behavior was shameful. My daughter wondered why no other child on the bus spoke up to defend this woman. I'm proud of her for that.

I have no problem disciplining my kids. I don't abuse them, but they'll get a whuppin' at the drop of a hat if they deserve it. I let them be kids and yes, they will do something stupid from time to time, but they know they will be getting something that will make it not worthwhile when I get em.

There would have been the most unpleasant of days in my house if I caught my kids doing something as stupid as the video.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Bullied bus monitor reaction: Teach victims to deal with bullies
Another perspective.

Bullied bus monitor reaction: Teach victims to deal with bullies - CSMonitor.com

My mother had polio when she was young and has been in a wheelchair for 25 years, so I have always had a heart for special people.*

We had a special needs person in HS ( actually a class of special needs ) but one young man had some real "issues". Anyway, he would always walk by the auto mechanic building going to his second set of classes for the day. One day I walked by going to see the coach and one punk was picking on the special guy. I just kinda let it go.

Then another day, same thing as I was coming back from the coach's office. *So the next day I sat outside the mechanic building and waited until it started again, grabbed the bully and shoved him in the bathroom for a good a$$ whipping. Told him I'd do it everyday I saw him pick on this poor kid. It never happened again.

About a week later the head principle called me to the office and said he knew what I'd done. Of coarse I'm getting ready for a paddling or suspension for fighting and instead he shook my hand and told me the special boys mother had called and thanked me. As a 17 YO it really touched my heart, I wasnt looking for any recognition, *just doing what I felt was right. I found out later my weightlifting coach had told them it was me, because I had mentioned to him the situation before the whipping.*

The special boy only stayed at our school for another 6 weeks, and they put him into a school that better dealt with his needs. After that day anytime he saw me in the halls he would hug me.*

That's been 20 years ago, and I guess we had a moment of bonding that I haven't really thought about until today. *

Funny pic my wife found.......
de60c142.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
It means that, depending where you are, you can get charges brought upon you if a punishment is deemed "excessive". For instance, recently, I read about parents being charged with abuse for not supplying their 16yo with a cell phone. It means God help you if you spank your children and it gets reported to the police. It means that at my childrens' school, the teachers are constantly asking the students how their parents punish them.

Child abuse is an awful thing, but unfortunately, in a noble attempt to prevent it, the fools in charge have now let the kids believe they can pretty much do whatever they wish without any consequences. The theory is; that the punishment/consequences cannot be physical.

Sorry, but I'm old school; a whack or two on the butt, is not abuse in my book, and that is all I would condone.

If my kid was one of those on the bus, he/she would get a couple whacks on the butt, be confined to their room with no TV or phone or games, etc every night for a couple of weeks, and apologize to the woman, and clear her yard every week for a month.

Oct 19, 2009
What a mess our small county of 55,000 and we have Juvenile court every day. We have parents calling law enforcement because their 8YO won’t go to school, grandparents raising their grand kids. A friend of mine, who has owed a car lot for 25 years a good guy, had 4 juveniles steal 6 cars off his lot and destroy the cars 100,000 or more in damage. Their explanation it’s summer and they were board,

Child discipline starts at a young age, if not then you loose control and you call law enforcement because your 8YO won’t go to school. There are so many negative influences out there to influence a kid the wrong way. You have to be diligent, church, school and sports help.

Having said that, I also know many great kids. My wife and I are very lucky because our daughter is a great kid. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have not seen the complete 10 minute video tape, but the excerpts were noting compared to what some school teachers go through every day. Perhaps we need cameras in the classroom.

What was the policy for discipline on this bus? Did the bus driver not have the authority to park and call school officials?

I quit teaching 10 years because if discipline problems in the schools. I refused to monitor school bus rides, long before that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523