re entry for baserunner....did we blow it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
bottom 5th inning, tie game, time has expired, no new inning will begin... we are batting.

Player 1 gets to first, is slow, is the winning run..... My AC calls time at 3rd, asks for Player 2(FAST), who Player 1 subbed out in the 3rd, same batting slot, to come in and run, on a re entry. I am NOT a rules guru, I was not aware they could re enter as a baserunner...

Opposing coach asks for a clarification, AC says she is re entering as a baserunner under re entry, ump confirms... we play on...

player 2 makes her way around, steals home, we win. yay!

upon reading my rules, I find this, vague info about re entry, but nothing about this situation...

section 3 Any of the starting players may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once (including the starting EP), provided that the players occupy the original position in the batting order whenever in the game.

Can someone fill out my understanding here? Thanks! Carson

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
bottom 5th inning, tie game, time has expired, no new inning will begin... we are batting.

Player 1 gets to first, is slow, is the winning run..... My AC calls time at 3rd, asks for Player 2(FAST), who Player 1 subbed out in the 3rd, same batting slot, to come in and run, on a re entry. I am NOT a rules guru, I was not aware they could re enter as a baserunner...

Opposing coach asks for a clarification, AC says she is re entering as a baserunner under re entry, ump confirms... we play on...

player 2 makes her way around, steals home, we win. yay!

upon reading my rules, I find this, vague info about re entry, but nothing about this situation...

section 3 Any of the starting players may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once (including the starting EP), provided that the players occupy the original position in the batting order whenever in the game.

Can someone fill out my understanding here? Thanks! Carson

Speaking ASA

There is absolutely nothing vague about the re-entry rule. Any player may re-enter the game once. Don't care what position that player is taking or for which player they are replacing, as long as it is in the same slot of the batting order.

However, since I see you reference an "EP", I can only assume you are not referring to ASA

Jun 22, 2008
Unless you are playing under some obscure local league rules, every rule set I am aware of with the exception of NCAA allows every player a reentry.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I'd also like to know what rule book that quote came from. There are some sanctioning bodies that for slow pitch limit re-entry to starting players only. Can't think of any that do this for fastpitch (other than NCAA).

Jul 24, 2013
HEY! Thanks for the clarification...I copied that from a thread on here where someone had copied in the ASA rule (supposedly)

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-rules-questions/14851-asa-substitution-rules.html

Pain that ASA doesnt give a e copy...

I knew original players could re enter, as long as the batting order wasnt altered.....I just assumed the batter runner couldnt be subbed or re entry apply once she was on base... just in the regular offense defense cycle...

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I knew original players could re enter, as long as the batting order wasnt altered.....I just assumed the batter runner couldnt be subbed or re entry apply once she was on base... just in the regular offense defense cycle...

Actually, subbing base runners is one of the more common reasons for substitution. If the original player is coming back in for a player who occupied the same slot in the batting order, you are good.

Pain that ASA doesnt give a e copy...
You can get an ASA e-copy for $4.99 a year on a smart phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes