Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I'm saying this with all the niceness I can!!

How in the world did you book a coaching position with a select softball team when you know diddly squat about softball???

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Geez...steph...you know the answer. God automatically implants softball knowledge into the brains of men who play baseball.

Give him some credit--at least he had the good sense to ask for some help. Otherwise, he'd go through the first tournament having his corners back and the other team dropping bunts everywhere.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My dd played on a select team once coached by a baseball guy.
I tried to help by injecting SB knowledge, he though I was the crazy one.
This is what happened:

first tournament having his corners back and the other team dropping bunts everywhere.

Now he and I are friends

Feb 9, 2009
Geez...steph...you know the answer. God automatically implants softball knowledge into the brains of men who play baseball.

Give him some credit--at least he had the good sense to ask for some help. Otherwise, he'd go through the first tournament having his corners back and the other team dropping bunts everywhere.

You know, I ask for two reasons:
1) because the absurdity of it was the first thing that struck me when I read the post.
2) because I REALLY want to know how he landed the coaching job of a select team for softball....seriously Hmiller...inquiring minds want to know!!!!

That being said...DUDE! You have a LOT to learn!!!! Softball and baseball are very different, and PLEASE remember what was said about girls and boys...you CANNOT coach them the same way! You will have a mutiny on your hands...and that's just the parents...

Oct 18, 2009
Small ball is big... in baseball there are maybe one or two bunts a game. In softball there are at least that in almost every inning. The best teams can defend and execute the bunt.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Candrea was a baseball coach. I think that most of the men softball coaches have come from baseball.

I switched back and forth myself.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Lets not be too hard on this guy. He is new to the forum and had the guts to ask how to be a more successful softball coach. Isn't that why we are all here??

Aug 16, 2010
In answer to your question, we were on a “select” team last year that was coached like a tee ball team in turn we, my wife and I were asked to take the team. She has played her whole life including college and has coached several teams. WE are doing this together. I thought that to be more effective that I would research and learn the game. I sorry if I offended you, or your idea of the game by being an active in my daughter’s life. I had thought that as in baseball coaches were willing to help and for the most part people were.

It must be nice to have been born with total softball coaching knowledge, some of have to learn. I am not sure your situation however we volunteer our time and efforts, so “landing” the job was our choice due to no one else wanting to help.

Do me a favor DUDE, please do not bother to help I can due with out condescending B.S. from people who rather question than help! I do know that boys and girls are different and I know that the game is different I have watched softball for 5 years and while not being a dumbass I have learned from watching.

To everyone that did offer advise thank you I found some great web sites and books.

Jul 9, 2010
HMiller - don't take it so hard. It was a fair question.

With that said, my introduction to coaching was when my DD was 7, and the coach quit. Everyone looked around, and pointed at me. I knew absolutely nothing, and I never played baseball. I went about the hard copy version of what you are doing - reading, learning, asking questions. I bought a few videos, and worked pretty hard to learn.

After working at this for awhile now (about 10 years), I think I've picked up a few things. You're to be commended for reaching out. Ask more specific questions, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

As far as the baseball guy thing, I will admit I am sensitive to that as well. I watched a coach teaching my DD to throw sidearm for some reason - nearly ruined her throwing motion. Sidearm does not exist in SB. Same guy was teaching an uppercut baseball swing - no thanks.

So, try not to take it so personally. Many of us have watched this sort of thing. It's nothing against you personally.

Ask away, and I'm sure we'll all do what we can to help. At it's core, though, you are touching and shaping young lives - that is our most important mission. As I said in another thread, we went to a memorial yesterday for one of my Little League players. It almost took that experience for me to realize just how important those of us that wear the title coach can be in young girls' lives.

I'm sure you know all of that, and I'm sorry to sound preachy.

As I said, ask away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes