Questions for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
We have about 3-4 coaches wanting my daughter (12u pitcher) to come and try out for there teams. We play on a team now but are looking for a change for the better. What are some of the questions we should ask the coaches to see if the teams are a good fit for her ( and us lol)

Thanks!

First do you know any parents on the team they might be able to clue you into in behind the scenes stuff. Have you played or watched any of the teams play that can tell you more than just tryouts.

As a pitcher you should be looking for the most mound time you can get over a third and closer to half as a #1, which is what you should expect since you have choices.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
How many players they are bringing back/positions open,
nicely find out where thei dd's play,
decide what type of practice/travel schedule you want and what they did the previous season,
what they plan to do the upcoming season

Expected player commitment (school over softball, etc)
Coaching style you can only see at games, maybe ask around about coach temperament if you don't have first-hand experience

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
We have about 3-4 coaches wanting my daughter (12u pitcher) to come and try out for there teams. We play on a team now but are looking for a change for the better. What are some of the questions we should ask the coaches to see if the teams are a good fit for her ( and us lol)

Thanks!

Only question I would ask is "When is your next practice and can I come and check it out?" Oh, and heed Sparky's advice.

I'm not saying my input is correct, but if it were me I would attend a practice of each of the teams before making ANY decisions. And get there early to see if players are on time or not. Just sit and watch what happens. How are the practices ran? Sloppy or tight? Does HC get respect? Do the players look at HC as a leader? Does HC goof around too much or yell continuously? Do the players hustle or are they lazy? Are there multiple stations set up where each one is running a separate drill or is it more of a free-for-all?

Then, try out for the teams in the order of which teams DD wants to be on the most. You DON'T want to go from the frying pan into the fire! Let us know what happens. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying