Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2016
In my experience trust the girl's creep radar. At the end of the day, even if he doesn't mean anything by doing it and it makes them uncomfortable then it still isn't okay...

Absolutely. At the very least the coach needs to know he's making players uncomfortable and he needs to change his behavior.

May 17, 2012
A *man* in a position of authority over females shouldn't be initiating hugs. Keep it to high fives or fist bumps where the player can reciprocate.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Not a fan of a male coach hugging players unless the player is the person that initiates the hug. I wouldn't think twice if a player got a game winning hit in a big game and ran over to the male coach and gave him a hug. Also I wouldn't think twice if a female coach hugged a player. There is a double standard there and I am fine with that.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It would be my guess that he is seeing who responds to the hug. Such as, with me, I tighten up and pull away. Even females can tell that their hugging me, is unwelcome. So, he tries to find a girl that hugs back and presses against him.
Maybe yes. Maybe no. But, I trust no one.
DD's HS coach (a she) hugged a lot of the girls, too much for my comfort. My DD liked to hug. One day coach had her in a big bear hug. I yelled "Do not hang on coach! She has worked all day." It never happened again.

Jun 12, 2015
Whether he's a creep or just a touchy feely type, if he's making the girls uncomfortable he needs to stop. I can see both sides of this, because DD has been with her coach since 6U, with the exception of one year. She was itty bitty when they met. I wouldn't think anything of it if he hugged her. He probably has, I'm sure. They have that kind of relationship. To me that's where the difference is. Obviously these girls do NOT have that kind of relationship with this coach and he's making them feel weird. That's not cool. Also I think once you enter the puberty zone the coaches need to be much much more careful about any sort of contact.

May 13, 2012
I think someone else mentioned it that times have changed. I would say for the better in the sense a lot more young ladies are taught to be aware. Unfortunately some girls look for things that ain't there, but I do belive better safe than sorry. If a player is uncomfortable it should stop. Like many on here I have girls from the 10u days as juniors and seniors now that where part of my core group. Some are really close, some hug me like a DD, some ain't huggers but still acknowledge me and I them with a heart felt fist bump. If the kid ain't comfortable the act should stop. I never initiate front hugg. I have never hesitated a side arm over shoulder congrats or a it will be OK. Like I said there can be one and I think I was always able to tell, that didn't like contact. Once I picked up on it I gave them their space.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
The panties comment is completely inappropriate. When coaching girls I make sure to say things like "drop your hips" rather than "get your butt down." I wouldn't want someone to feel uncomfortable, or misconstrue what I'm saying, and tell someone my coach talks about my butt at practice.

The quote is mean and then to posterize it when asked to stop just means you're a dick. This guy sounds like an a$$h*&^ and doesn't seem to have any common sense or intelligence.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
IMO...short side hug...OK...full frontal hug...no bueno. Let's not even get started on the close talking Coach......

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
A fist bump or putting my hand on top of their helmet and talking into their ear hole is it for me, I love every girl on my DD's HS team but I don't ever need or want to hug them! I feel I'm pretty close with every one of them by the way I talk to and build them up with positive encouragement. He sounds creepy to me and I wouldn't want him hugging my DD!!

Oct 19, 2009
You know what they say about women's intuition, if she is feeling uncomfortable then he is giving her a reason.

I discovered that schools usually rally around coaches and teachers until something happens that cannot be denied.

Local HS school coach who traded starting positions for sexual favors and was widely known by students, was finally arrested and prosecuted when a parent turned him in to law enforcement for having sex with their 17 yo daughter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad