Question re. Flex/DP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2013
Just had a question regarding the flex/DP. We have used it with success in the past, but primarily have used it to simply get the best 9 defensively and the best 9 on offense in the lineup. My question is pertaining to replacing the flex with a substitute from the bench. If we play the flex as our starting right fielder and our DP bats for her can we replace the original flex player (our right fielder) with a nonstarter from the bench while still having the DP in effect for the new sub?

Further, if after that substitution I want the flex to bat for the DP, I would be able to do that without commiting an illegal substitution, right?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Just had a question regarding the flex/DP. We have used it with success in the past, but primarily have used it to simply get the best 9 defensively and the best 9 on offense in the lineup. My question is pertaining to replacing the flex with a substitute from the bench. If we play the flex as our starting right fielder and our DP bats for her can we replace the original flex player (our right fielder) with a nonstarter from the bench while still having the DP in effect for the new sub? Yes.

Further, if after that substitution I want the flex to bat for the DP, I would be able to do that without commiting an illegal substitution, right? Yes. As long as you remove the substitute/bench player from RF. The starter and the substitute cannot be in the game at the same time. (see below)

Thanks for your answers in advance!

In your scenario, you start the game with 10 players in the lineup.

You can enter a substitute (bench player) for the flex. The flex has left the game and has one re-entry. DP has not left the lineup. You still have 10 players in the lineup.

You can re-enter the flex for the DP to hit. The flex has re-entered the game (if she leaves the game after this, she cannot re-enter). The DP has left the lineup and still has one re-entry. The original substitute (bench player who entered for the flex) has to leave the game (but has one re-entry left). The starter and the substitute cannot be in the game at the same time. You are now playing with 9 players.

The DP can re-enter the game to hit in her original spot in the batting order, and the flex moves back to defense only (the flex and DP cannot be on offense at the same time). You are back to 10 players. If either the original flex or DP leave the game from this point on, they cannot re-enter.

Whew!

Jun 22, 2008
You can enter a substitute (bench player) for the flex. The flex has left the game and has one re-entry. DP has not left the lineup. You still have 10 players in the lineup.

To clarify here, the flex has not actually left the game, you have just substituted an eligible substitute for the player who was playing the flex position.

If you have started the game with the dp/flex option, it is in effect for the entire game. You can switch back and forth between 9 and 10 players as many times as you have legal substitutes. The DP and Flex are their own individual positions on the lineup sheet. Each of them are completely eligible for a legal substitute. You can do a straight substitution of a bench player into either the dp, or the flex position and you have changed nothing other than the player in that position.

Feb 24, 2013
Great! Thanks for the responses. I have a team with a lot of depth this year and I'm trying to find more ways to get the girls into the games. So, theoretically I could have a situation like this....

-Sally starts as my DP and bats 5th
-Sue starts as my flex and plays right field

In the third inning I could bring Gloria off the bench as a new Flex and play her in right field for Sue (who still has a reentry). I could also substitute Hannah for Sally as my new DP but Sally still has a reentry.

Then in the 5th inning I could either bring back in the original starting DP, Sally, and or Flex, Sue...of I could even bring in a different sub for either the DP spot or Flex spot.

Is that hypothetical situation correct?

Thanks again. I had an ump a few years ago tell me I could not bring in a new player for my original flex and ive been cautious with this ever since. Although I've used the DP/Flex I haven't gotten etirely creative with it.

Thanks again.

Jun 22, 2008
What you have posted looks to be legal. You just have to remember, once you have put a sub in that spot, they are locked to that position in the batting order for the entire game.

Feb 24, 2013
Absolutely...the sub can only hit in that spot in the order and if the sub is replaced by another sub or the original starter then they are out of the game, correct?

Thanks for your insight. We just haven't had the type of depth on the bench that it appears we will have this season. I just don't want to do something silly while trying to insert these players into the lineup and pay for it later!

Jun 22, 2008
Absolutely...the sub can only hit in that spot in the order and if the sub is replaced by another sub or the original starter then they are out of the game, correct?

Thanks for your insight. We just haven't had the type of depth on the bench that it appears we will have this season. I just don't want to do something silly while trying to insert these players into the lineup and pay for it later!

In most rule sets, every player as a re-entry. If you have Sally batting in the #5 spot, and substitute in Sue, then sub Amy in for Sue, both Sally and Sue still have a re-entry, but are locked to the #5 spot in the lineup.

Feb 15, 2013
Just think of the DP/flex as Siamese Twins that can be separated and reattached once...as long as they leave and come back into the same order in the batting line up then you should be good. I hope i didn't confuse you further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug