DP / Flex Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2020
Here is the line up;

#2 -P
#4-DP (RP)
#5——#9
#10-Flex (C)

Is it possible to have the DP replace the Pitcher. Then have the Pitcher that was just replaced take over the DP position while
keeping the flex as is.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
The DP stays the DP, but yes, she can come in to pitch and the original P stays in the lineup. No one changes their spot in the order. Remember, the DP is essentially just another position. Think of it as no different than your SS and 2B swapping defensive spots.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Here is the line up;

#2 -P
#4-DP (RP)
#5——#9
#10-Flex (C)

Is it possible to have the DP replace the Pitcher. Then have the Pitcher that was just replaced take over the DP position while
keeping the flex as is.
Yes...and no...

The DP can come in and pitch but they are still attached to the Flex in terms of the batting order.

The P can go anywhere (including the bench) and remain in the line up, but they don't become the DP.

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure I am following exactly what you are trying to do, but as has been said the dp is the dp, that doesnt change. The DP can play defense for anyone other than the flex and no one has left the game. Yes, the DP can come in to pitch, but they are still the DP. If you move the other pitcher to another defensive position then whoever you have taken off the field on put on the bench is actually the player the DP is playing defense for. But, that doesnt really matter as it doesnt even really have to be reported to the umpire, it is simply a defensive position change. But, when you are dealing with catchers and pitchers you should let the umpire know for courtesy runner eligibility.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
While defensive changes do not NEED to be reported to the umpire, please do so so we can keep track of them in case there are any questions from the other HC and so we can make sure the change gets to the official scorer/opposing team.

Oct 24, 2020
The DP stays the DP, but yes, she can come in to pitch and the original P stays in the lineup. No one changes their spot in the order. Remember, the DP is essentially just another position. Think of it as no different than your SS and 2B swapping defensive spots.

thank you, does that mean the starting pitcher becomes the new DP?
Not sure I am following exactly what you are trying to do, but as has been said the dp is the dp, that doesnt change. The DP can play defense for anyone other than the flex and no one has left the game. Yes, the DP can come in to pitch, but they are still the DP. If you move the other pitcher to another defensive position then whoever you have taken off the field on put on the bench is actually the player the DP is playing defense for. But, that doesnt really matter as it doesnt even really have to be reported to the umpire, it is simply a defensive position change. But, when you are dealing with catchers and pitchers you should let the umpire know for courtesy runner eligibility.

Thank you.
I am would like to have the starting pitcher and the DP (relief pitcher) in the hitting line up...the flex is the catcher and needs to stay in the game as so.
can I simply have the starting pitch be the DP in the batting line after she is replaced by the Relief pitcher who is the current DP?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
No combinations of switches can have a batter hit in another spot in the line-up, Your pitcher stays in the line-up in the 2 hole. The DP may play defense at any position. If the DP plays defense for anyone other than the FLEX, that player will continue to bat but not play defense and is not considered to have left the game. Don't worry about calling the starting P your DP, that will just confuse the situation.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
In essence you have 10 defensive positions, one of them is a bucket just outside the dug out (not physically, but it makes it easier to understand this part of the DP /Flex rule). You can switch any defensive positions without removing anyone from the line-up, You can switch SS and RF, 1B and 3B, or P and Bucket. Just report it to the umpire and you are good to go. The one exception to this is if you put the DP on defense and have the Flex NOT on the field (in other words the DP is subbed for the FLEX on defense) In this case the FLEX has been removed from the game and you revert to a 9-player line-up. However, the Flex (or any sub) has Entry/re-entry rights and you can go back to the 10-player line-up later in the game.

Jun 22, 2008
The DP doesn't change. Once you have designated a position in the lineup as the DP, that position is always the DP. It doesn't matter what defensive position they play, or who you swap where, any player occupying that spot in the lineup is always the DP.

I forget which way you listed them, but if your starting pitcher is the DP, and your relief is say f3 and you swap them on defense the girl who started at pitcher is still the DP but now she is playing f3.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Comp, your wording is a bit confusing in your response. The DP would not be the starting P, the DP is offense only. The FLEX might be the P, (in the OP the FLEX is the C), and DP hit in the 4 hole for the C.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors