Question for Umpires - Infield Fly Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
I have a question for the umpires on this board. What criteria do you use for invoking the infield fly rule. The reason I ask is in a game today (not one of mine) a team had runners on 1st, 2nd and 3rd with one out. A high pop-up was hit to 3rd that should have easily been caught with normal effort. The ump did not invoke the infield fly rule. Long story short, ball dropped and a double play occurred. I have no idea why infield fly was not invoked. Did the ump blow the call or is there some other reason?

Jun 1, 2008
Here is my criteria for calling an infield fly rule:

- Less than two outs
- Runners on first second, or bases loaded
- Pop up to the infield - the infield is established by the position of the players, not any part of the ground (e.g. where the dirt ends or where the grass starts).
- Ordinary effort - this is complete judgement, but it's pretty obvious when a ball should be caught by an infielder. A blooper behind an infielder (but nowhere near an outfielder) where the infielder would have to run backward and dive to catch it would not be called.

It sounds like the umpire missed the call. What I don't understand is why he/she didn't apply the rule after it was brought to his/her attention. If I miss the infield fly call, because I didn't realize it was an infield fly, or forgot how many outs or something, I'll apply it after, no harm in that. It makes me look bad for not being on top of things, but at least I'm applying the rule after I realized I missed the call.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
After all, they are getting paid $25 per game. For that kind of money, why can't these guys be more professional?

Mar 13, 2010
Infield fly can't be applied after the ball is on the ground. It has to be called in the air. I would chuck an aboustle fit if an umpire called it afterwards. Its not my fault if they stuff up.

If they're being paid, I'm assuming they are blues, so don't they have the signal when its on?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Lozza;

You can have a fit all you want. ASA Rule 10 clearly allows umpires to correct calls where the umpires have erroneously put runners in jepoardy. You can argue - I guess - that the ball could not be caught with ordinary effort, but good luck.

I will admit, however, that I have NEVER seen a line drive called an infield fly even though the rule book states that a fair fly ball includes a line drive and a bunt.

Apr 13, 2010
We had an infield fly called on us this past weekend. And that was 10U. I've not seen it called much in 10U because 10U just doesn't have double plays. Still, it was the right call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma