Another Look Back Rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
In the game in question, my daughter was pitching and gave up a sac fly with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. The batter was out upon the ball being caught, and the runners tagged up with the runner on 3rd scoring easily. The catcher fields the ball and throws it back to my daughter, who was clearly on the pitching rubber. The runner on 2nd made it to 3rd with no play on her. She stands up and stops on the base. Because the catcher was walking towards the circle, the 3rd base coach sends the girl on 3rd home. The HPU is looking at RF, not the runner. The FU is near SS, but it's impossible to tell what he's looking at when the runner leaves.

It's my understanding the trail runner should have been called out with the 3rd out of the inning. Instead, the inning continues.

I'm trying to upload the video, but it appears DFP doesn't allow videos unless they're hosted on a different server, i.e. YouTube or FB.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
She is out.

By the why pitching plate has nothing to do with anything, she just needs to be in circle.
The point about the pitching rubber was to remove any ambiguity as to her location since the field was turf and had no chalk circle.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Here's a screenshot showing the runner on the base and pitcher with the ball in the circle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221030_000425_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030_000425_Photos.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 50
Jul 27, 2021
Yep, LBR violation. Runner on 3rd should be out.

Yet, don't underestimate how easily Umps are distracted, confused, don't know rules, only able to focus on one thing at a time, have quirks & bias....even with more than one on the field. Today's games here had a bit of everything, so you're not alone.

May 17, 2012
In the game in question, my daughter was pitching and gave up a sac fly with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. The batter was out upon the ball being caught, and the runners tagged up with the runner on 3rd scoring easily. The catcher fields the ball and throws it back to my daughter, who was clearly on the pitching rubber. The runner on 2nd made it to 3rd with no play on her. She stands up and stops on the base. Because the catcher was walking towards the circle, the 3rd base coach sends the girl on 3rd home. The HPU is looking at RF, not the runner. The FU is near SS, but it's impossible to tell what he's looking at when the runner leaves.

It's my understanding the trail runner should have been called out with the 3rd out of the inning. Instead, the inning continues.

I'm trying to upload the video, but it appears DFP doesn't allow videos unless they're hosted on a different server, i.e. YouTube or FB.

Clearly, since no one was watching the trailing runner she should have skipped third base and ran directly to the home. This is how we teach it now.

Was the ball in the circle before the runner reached third base (and then "stopped")? If so she is out. If it all occurred at the same time it's a little murky if umpires aren't paying attention. The baserunner gets one "decision" to go or go back once the ball is in the circle.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yet another reminder of why the defense/players should always be paying attention.

Umpires don't run plays in the game, they're just watching putting in an opinion here and there.

If players want time out, because they are going to walk away from their positions, make sure the umpires call time out. Particularly important while other players are looking to take advantage of situations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles