Question about throw downs from Primary Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmm, I'm of the feeling that the setup for runners on and no runners is exactly the same. One stance for every situation, basically be ready for anything.
Yes ready every pitch.
My set up for every pitch is the same regardless of runners.

That said.
Was simply commenting i like reading people....
Distinguishing between.
The pre ready stance like when giving the signal
TO popping into pitch ready stance.

Then a seperate conversation people may have
Runner on
Or
No runners on
Which some catchers use different set ups.

When people talk about primary or secondary position it may need clarifying is all.
Think the op was also commenting on throwing so i took post to mean
Runners on or no runners.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
Yes ready every pitch.
My set up for every pitch is the same regardless of runners.

That said.
Was simply commenting i like reading people....
Distinguishing between.
The pre ready stance like when giving the signal
TO popping into pitch ready stance.

Then a seperate conversation people may have
Runner on
Or
No runners on
Which some catchers use different set ups.

When people talk about primary or secondary position it may need clarifying is all.
Think the op was also commenting on throwing so i took post to mean
Runners on or no runners.

With all the bad weather here in Texas and us not having electricity for a few days....couple that with the sucky rolling blackout crap.......its been a long week

we got feedback from a catcher trainer I sent my daughter to last Saturday.....yep in the middle of a snow storm........ we got the feedback today...ok today was the 1st day I checked my email since Saturday..... this week sucked.

My DD took to her very well during the session. If I am reading her reply right she wants my DD to focus on one stance and she can migrate to the secondary stance/runner on base stanse after the ball has left the pitchers hand......she felt DD was strong enough to make the transition quickly and smoothly and there was no need to give away the threw to second base.

DD is 11

oh and thank you Benjamin Franklin and screw the Texas leadership for not being prepared.....rolling blackouts are worst than just not having electricity at all..... 15 mins on and over and hour off for multiple days....sucked...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
With all the bad weather here in Texas and us not having electricity for a few days....couple that with the sucky rolling blackout crap.......its been a long week

we got feedback from a catcher trainer I sent my daughter to last Saturday.....yep in the middle of a snow storm........ we got the feedback today...ok today was the 1st day I checked my email since Saturday..... this week sucked.

My DD took to her very well during the session. If I am reading her reply right she wants my DD to focus on one stance and she can migrate to the secondary stance/runner on base stanse after the ball has left the pitchers hand......she felt DD was strong enough to make the transition quickly and smoothly and there was no need to give away the threw to second base.

DD is 11

oh and thank you Benjamin Franklin and screw the Texas leadership for not being prepared.....rolling blackouts are worst than just not having electricity at all..... 15 mins on and over and hour off for multiple days....sucked...

Got it
Basically befor any action
A more casual befor pitch starts
~ giving a signal crouch
To Then
Pop into pitch ready stance which is the same always.
So
Has nothing to do with runners on.
Really dont know what your reffering to when you then mention runners?
Is her pitch ready stance
(when pictches are comming) the same with and without runners?
Pictures would help!!

BTW being ready is being ready.!!!! Does not give away anything. Its a statement that says
We're ready for ANYTHING!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
Got it
Basically befor any action
A more casual befor pitch starts
~ giving a signal crouch
To Then
Pop into pitch ready stance which is the same always.
So
Has nothing to do with runners on.
Really dont know what your reffering to when you then mention runners?
Is her pitch ready stance
(when pictches are comming) the same with and without runners?
Pictures would help!!

BTW being ready is being ready.!!!! Does not give away anything. Its a statement that says
We're ready for ANYTHING!

Yea I will get pictures one the weather clears enough for us to go back outside.

But if I understand her.

My DD has a strong athletic ready stance. Not the position she is in when they are doing signals but the position she goes into as she gets ready to receive. That is the stance the trainer is saying is strong and very athletic. From that stance my DD has the ability to go directly into a throw.

I need a pic. I will send one as soon as we can get out of this weather. This weather sucks!!!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yea I will get pictures one the weather clears enough for us to go back outside.

But if I understand her.

My DD has a strong athletic ready stance. Not the position she is in when they are doing signals but the position she goes into as she gets ready to receive. That is the stance the trainer is saying is strong and very athletic. From that stance my DD has the ability to go directly into a throw.

I need a pic. I will send one as soon as we can get out of this weather. This weather sucks!!!!
This sounds like a 👍good thing!

May 4, 2016
My DD also used a secondary (runners on) stance that was taught by her first catching coach. He basically ripped off the Catching Camp video. It was the butt slightly higher than the knees like sitting. She has transitioned away from it this year as a sophomore feeling that one primary stance has ever able to be more explosive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck