Question about throw downs from Primary Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Ok I've been working with my DD on foot flips. The drill when you put the T on the ground and she practices going from her secondary catching position to her pre throwing position.

The 1st week we had issue after issue with her doing this drill from her secondary catchers stance. So this week I had her sand up and do it.

After doing it standing my DD looked at me an said it easier for her out of her primary catchers stance. She showed me and wow she did it allot better. As she came up she shifted her body while simultaneously doing a quick hop and she was set and going into the throw.

So my question is: Should I continue to work the foot flip drill from her primary stance and we just x out the secondary stance. it seems as if she doesn't need the secondary stance.

If she needs the secondary stance could someone explain it to me so I can explain to her. She is 12U

Nov 18, 2015
A secondary stance should help with blocking by allowing the hips to start even with or slightly above the knees.

When trying to block from a primary stance, you have to raise the hips above the knees before your body will let you drive the knees downward.

Can you attach a picture of her secondary stance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2020
Ok I've been working with my DD on foot flips. The drill when you put the T on the ground and she practices going from her secondary catching position to her pre throwing position.

The 1st week we had issue after issue with her doing this drill from her secondary catchers stance. So this week I had her sand up and do it.

After doing it standing my DD looked at me an said it easier for her out of her primary catchers stance. She showed me and wow she did it allot better. As she came up she shifted her body while simultaneously doing a quick hop and she was set and going into the throw.

So my question is: Should I continue to work the foot flip drill from her primary stance and we just x out the secondary stance. it seems as if she doesn't need the secondary stance.

If she needs the secondary stance could someone explain it to me so I can explain to her. She is 12U
I will get one tomorrow. thanks. That does make sense on the secondary stance. I will get a picture of both her primary and secondary stances.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here is my EVERY PITCH stance.
BECAUSE CATCHERS DO MORE THAN RECEIVE PITCHES !!!
WE are defensive players!
Even with no runners on we are still responsible for
Pop-ups, bunts, miss hits...
AND backing up first base!
Be Ready To Explode out of our crouch!

20170919_150122-1.jpg

Our crouch is also part of
"Our frame, framing pitches"

Our shoulders
Height of our crouch
Posture in how we hold our glove.
Then add what the pitcher see's.

Will say this confidently without any doubt~
Using my leg muscles catching on all pitches is one of the smartest things i could have done for both my performance and health of my knees!
I continue to teach an athletic crouch. Encourage leg strength!
~Turbo

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal

Ha, I had a whole write up composed and just deleted it, way too much detail that I don't even think you asked for! Catching is always evolving as the player ages up. However, in short the "secondary" (IMO) is not something that's done just when there's a runner on 1B, its something that needs to be done every pitch. Also, its not a position that is HELD, it is a brief moment where the legs and quads are "popped" at the beginning of the pitch delivery so the catcher can react to the pitch location, and for that matter, the batted ball.

To me, it is almost identical to the AUBURN HOP (google it if you're unfamiliar) for infielders, its just a mechanism to get the body ready for anything.

If your catcher is ready for anything and can react athletically, who cares how she gets the ball to 2B, the only thing that matters is the amount of time it takes to get there (pop time).

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Just a clarification, obviously catchers won't leave their feet! Just a momentary pop up (about 1") and slightly wider feet at the delivery of the pitch.

Mar 28, 2020
Ha, I had a whole write up composed and just deleted it, way too much detail that I don't even think you asked for! Catching is always evolving as the player ages up. However, in short the "secondary" (IMO) is not something that's done just when there's a runner on 1B, its something that needs to be done every pitch. Also, its not a position that is HELD, it is a brief moment where the legs and quads are "popped" at the beginning of the pitch delivery so the catcher can react to the pitch location, and for that matter, the batted ball.

To me, it is almost identical to the AUBURN HOP (google it if you're unfamiliar) for infielders, its just a mechanism to get the body ready for anything.

If your catcher is ready for anything and can react athletically, who cares how she gets the ball to 2B, the only thing that matters is the amount of time it takes to get there (pop time).
SoftballCatchersTipsSignsPitcher.jpgSoftballCatchersTipsSignsPitcher.jpg
I was hoping to take a picture of her today but it freaking cold and she is out hanging with her team mates some where.

This Pic looks exactly how she looks in her primary position. This is a google image, but man it looks exactly like my daughter looks in her stance.

Going from her primary into a throw is simple.

For the secondary position they have her with her butt in the air like sitting in a chair and leaning forward....she is having a hard time going from that position into a throwing position and she is having a hard time blocking from that secondary position.

but her primary like the young lady in the picture she can do it all

They gave her three position a call/initial stance, a primary stance, and a secondary stance.

---thanks to google for the pic.....man it looks exactly like my DD in her stance amazing.....

May 7, 2015
SoCal
what age group? It looks like she's older but still in the "middle" ages, maybe 1st yr 14u +/-.

Anyway, I'm posting a video of my DD from a recent identifier/money grab. The secondary for my DD is a slight pop up from a deep primary during the pitch. It is basically preemptive pop up in the event of a high pitch, but once she picks up the "pitch" as low she immediately sinks back down to an eventual throw from the knees. This was obviously just a throw ball from a volunteer at 30' or so.

Technique wise, what I've come to learn is the best approach is LOW, low body and low target. Pitchers can't leave anything up in the zone where it will get smashed. Everything is low in/low out or up high out of the zone for a rise, etc. They'll need to be able to transition from low into the block without having to get "butt way up in the air".

Getting back to the pic you've posted, there is nothing wrong with that position. During a pitch, there will always be some sort of "getting" ready... That getting ready is individual to the catcher. From what I've seen, coaches just want reliable blocks and fast pop times. If you start falling behind in either, they start recommending approaches and techniques.

The catcher technique is always evolving as they get older.. These are only my interpretations. The great thing about catching is everyone approaches it slightly different. You have to stick with what works for your DD.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
what age group? It looks like she's older but still in the "middle" ages, maybe 1st yr 14u +/-.

Anyway, I'm posting a video of my DD from a recent identifier/money grab. The secondary for my DD is a slight pop up from a deep primary during the pitch. It is basically preemptive pop up in the event of a high pitch, but once she picks up the "pitch" as low she immediately sinks back down to an eventual throw from the knees. This was obviously just a throw ball from a volunteer at 30' or so.

Technique wise, what I've come to learn is the best approach is LOW, low body and low target. Pitchers can't leave anything up in the zone where it will get smashed. Everything is low in/low out or up high out of the zone for a rise, etc. They'll need to be able to transition from low into the block without having to get "butt way up in the air".

Getting back to the pic you've posted, there is nothing wrong with that position. During a pitch, there will always be some sort of "getting" ready... That getting ready is individual to the catcher. From what I've seen, coaches just want reliable blocks and fast pop times. If you start falling behind in either, they start recommending approaches and techniques.

The catcher technique is always evolving as they get older.. These are only my interpretations. The great thing about catching is everyone approaches it slightly different. You have to stick with what works for your DD.

Glad to read specifically talking about the seperate stances
Beginning with set up befor each pitch.
Then theres another topic of seperate type of set up.
A. set up no runners
B. set up with runners

Like to
Set up ready every pitch!
R.A.D. = Ready And Durable

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Glad to read specifically talking about the seperate stances
Beginning with set up befor each pitch.
Then theres another topic of seperate type of set up.
A. set up no runners
B. set up with runners

Like to
Set up ready every pitch!
R.A.D. = Ready And Durable

Hmm, I'm of the feeling that the setup for runners on and no runners is exactly the same. One stance for every situation, basically be ready for anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck