Quest for pitching knowledge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Hard to tell from that picture it is very blurry.
giphy.gif

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
For some reason I’ve seen quite a few IR pitchers who have their hand in this position at the same time. Interesting. My dd is one of them. I’d also say it’s probably facing 3B more than it is palm down.
Check the video of these same pitchers at 8 o’clock. Everything resets to elbow leading and palm upish going into release.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Shawn,
I’d be glad to buzz up your way to spend time working out with any of your pitchers. I’ve studied under/with John, Rick, Mike (javasource) and would love to chat about pitching. Please call or text me at 360-566-5958. Weekends are best, but Tuesday and Friday evenings are also options.

Mar 15, 2019
California
I heard great things about Austin's HLT for overhand but not much about how well it worked for softball pitching. I actually purchased the program in Sept, but my daughter had some arm issues before we started it. (TOS and Cubical tunnel syndrome) Finished PT and is back to throwing again. With limited time before the season starts, trying to determine what would be best to spend our time on.
My DD has used the High Level Pitching (HLP) program through Rugged Softball and Coach Jenn for the past 2+ years. It definitely uses the foundation of HLT but specific to pitching movements. It focuses on learning strong positions and leveraging, which coincidentally feel more comfortable to the body. Definite emphasis on action and reaction forces.

Jul 31, 2019
My DD has used the High Level Pitching (HLP) program through Rugged Softball and Coach Jenn for the past 2+ years. It definitely uses the foundation of HLT but specific to pitching movements. It focuses on learning strong positions and leveraging, which coincidentally feel more comfortable to the body. Definite emphasis on action and reaction forces.
Was there a noticeable improvement?

Jul 19, 2021
As a matter of fact I just went to the optometrist yesterday and happy to report all is well with my vision. You, however, might want to see a proctologist soon.
lol! Thank goodness there's someone left here with a sense of humor

Mar 15, 2019
California
Was there a noticeable improvement?
Yes, there was a noticeable improvement, although she experienced a significant growth spurt the past couple of years too.

She started the Rugged/HLP program in Oct 2020 peaking at 48 mph (age 12.25, 5', 80 lbs). By end of Jan 2021, she hit 52. By end of July 2021, she peaked at 57. Over the last year after that, she has hit 58 many times, but can now consistently average 57 (age 14.75, 5'6", 120 lbs). She continues her quest for 60, with her working to attain that by this summer. Besides the speed, her spin has gotten scary. That ball really moves and has me guessing as I catch her bullpens...

I would say that she has learned to move her body better and continues to refine her mechanics. She also can self-assess and recognize when something is off and correct it before it gets out of hand. The strength training aspect of the Rugged/HLP program helped stabilize her joints when she would stretch and lose coordination. It would take a couple of months to regain form to then lose it after a few months when she would stretch again. It seems she is close to full size and we can better focus on building strength now.

What she has learned through her own experiences she passes onto her middle sister (13 yo) and is starting to share with baby sister (9 yo). She has been a patient guinea pig since we started this pitching journey in 2015, testing a bunch of different things to see what worked for her (and a lot of what didn't)...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs