Queen of the hill drive trainer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2015
Sorry if this is a dumb question. How are the speed readings being taken? I'm assuming the initial was speed taken when throwing without the QOTH (off a regular rubber). Was the follow up (faster) reading taken while throwing without the QOTH (but after working with it) or from a rubber without the QOTH? It is spring loaded, so when it is compressed, it must also be putting force back into the pitcher as well. Have not seen one used in person, but am very interested.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Absolutely not... This guy is a doing a huge disservice to the product. I actually spoke with Rich Dunno about removing this guy, but he's got this video on a private page... No dice.
If you want to see some of my drills I do regularly, I'll share some more clips.

Thank you, James, I think we would all like to see some of your drills. I'm curious about the device but I do think it's pretty pricey. I am fortunate that my DD and I are working with one of the best but I can also see how this device could help me in my lessons.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Sorry if this is a dumb question. How are the speed readings being taken? I'm assuming the initial was speed taken when throwing without the QOTH (off a regular rubber). Was the follow up (faster) reading taken while throwing without the QOTH (but after working with it) or from a rubber without the QOTH? It is spring loaded, so when it is compressed, it must also be putting force back into the pitcher as well. Have not seen one used in person, but am very interested.

The readings I took were without QOTH and then while using the QOTH. It is spring loaded but not near enough to help that much IMO. I think James has some speeds of his girls after using it but not while using it and has seen improvement I believe. I do believe it will take some use to get used to make it muscle memory in the long run. I do know that my 10 year old student who has some of the best FSR you’ll ever see had a hard time in the beginning with FSR because of the new found momentum on the Queen. There’s little doubt in my mind that it’s promoting a much better push at a much better angle. The angle it requires you to be in to push it back is just as important than just the pushing itself, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not a dumb question at all.
At first I would get a reading before then my after would be on the queen... I have recently been doing 3 reads to validate that very question for myself.
Before, on the queen, and after not on it... Readings have been the same off the queen as on it within 1 mph as a variable...
I'll have a few qirls tomorrow morning on it and I'll try to video parts of the lesson.

May 25, 2018
Thank you, James, I think we would all like to see some of your drills. I'm curious about the device but I do think it's pretty pricey. I am fortunate that my DD and I are working with one of the best but I can also see how this device could help me in my lessons.

Also interested in seeing your drills. In addition would love to see how you use it for hitting, if you do.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Here’s another plug for the QOTH, so far this week I’ve had 4 girls improve 2 mph and 2 girls improve by 3 mph. Its absolutely great for teaching the proper lean and push feel in my opinion.

Mar 9, 2019
I took a leap after following this thread for a few weeks and purchased the QOTH. Question for the OP and others using it, do you ‘baseline’ your pitchers first? Meaning should we start at 2, and ratchet up from there? My daughter (11 yo) isn’t having an issue getting it to click on ‘4’ but I’m just curious as to the best way to begin using the QOTH. Thanks

May 27, 2013
It'll work fine for her... Please post your findings after she's used it a few times
You could get the fastpitch rubber as an option. groundforcesports.com - Registered at Namecheap.com

Coach James - just reporting in. So I have dd doing 25 reps off of it each evening. She doesn’t throw a ball while doing it as it’s in my basement, but she does do her full wind up when using it. Today both her PC and I could see a difference with the way she drove off the rubber - definitely more of a sprinter’s position with some more explosion, and she was pretty explosive to begin with. She was clocked at school by her HS coach 2 weeks ago so I have a baseline and will get clocked again next week. I will let you know the difference. I believe I can see some increase - but I know it can’t be proved without the numbers.

ETA: This is after about 10 days of consecutive use, so about 250 reps total.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
For the newbies, and just to point out the obvious, Coach James' kid had very good upper body mechanics...which is a testament to his ability as a coach.

Newbies tend to be transfixed on lower body mechanics. Before people start jumping in to fix the lower body mechanics, get the IR and the BI going...*THEN* work on lower body mechanics.

This device seems to be one that can make a good pitcher better. It is not going to make a weak pitcher into a good pitcher.

I truly hope folks don’t miss this...

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I took a leap after following this thread for a few weeks and purchased the QOTH. Question for the OP and others using it, do you ‘baseline’ your pitchers first? Meaning should we start at 2, and ratchet up from there? My daughter (11 yo) isn’t having an issue getting it to click on ‘4’ but I’m just curious as to the best way to begin using the QOTH. Thanks

I turn it up every time they get a couple of clicks in a row until they can not click it. Then I back it up a 1/2 and let them work it there. I would make sure the click you hear is the click going back and not just moving the spring a little and getting a click when it returns. It’s almost a double click to me if it’s done correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413