Queen of the hill drive trainer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It seems to be a no brainer if you are a PC. What if someone is a bucket parent? Do you spend the money on the device, or do you use that money for lessons with a PC that utilizes the tool?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It seems to be a no brainer if you are a PC. What if someone is a bucket parent? Do you spend the money on the device, or do you use that money for lessons with a PC that utilizes the tool?

Seems to be but apparently it is not.... As for the bucket parent....heck, in many parts of the country you still can't find a PC that teaches proper form or mechanics in line with what we discuss here. So even if that PC does get the QOTH trainer, most likely they've got all the other toys and gadgets to reinforce that long, straight arm, wrist snap and a Hello Elbow finish!

I would love to see actual video of a Coach we know and trust using this (for the first time and a few follow up/reinforcement lessons) with a student, and I mean with the audio/verbal cues and questions from the student as well. Perhaps with all these free demo units being distributed someone will do just that. Seems like it would be good for sales to the bucket dad who doesn't have many local PC options. It isn't a cheap tool but then again it's less than the average retail cost of a new bat and seems like it would last a lot longer. Do the math - cost per game swings over the course of a season vs the cost per pitch in a game over that same season. What result do we measure? The extra distance gained by the new bat? The extra mph per pitch gained by getting the "feel" of a good drive off the rubber? If it were that easy to coach "feel" this thing wouldn't stand a chance but if it can save time and further a pitchers progress vs staying slow to detach with messed up timing then it's a "no-brainer"!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Seems to be but apparently it is not.... As for the bucket parent....heck, in many parts of the country you still can't find a PC that teaches proper form or mechanics in line with what we discuss here. So even if that PC does get the QOTH trainer, most likely they've got all the other toys and gadgets to reinforce that long, straight arm, wrist snap and a Hello Elbow finish!

I would love to see actual video of a Coach we know and trust using this (for the first time and a few follow up/reinforcement lessons) with a student, and I mean with the audio/verbal cues and questions from the student as well. Perhaps with all these free demo units being distributed someone will do just that. Seems like it would be good for sales to the bucket dad who doesn't have many local PC options. It isn't a cheap tool but then again it's less than the average retail cost of a new bat and seems like it would last a lot longer. Do the math - cost per game swings over the course of a season vs the cost per pitch in a game over that same season. What result do we measure? The extra distance gained by the new bat? The extra mph per pitch gained by getting the "feel" of a good drive off the rubber? If it were that easy to coach "feel" this thing wouldn't stand a chance but if it can save time and further a pitchers progress vs staying slow to detach with messed up timing then it's a "no-brainer"!

Is it a teaching tool, or every session training tool. If you attain the desired leg drive and resulting speed is regular use required?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Is it a teaching tool, or every session training tool. If you attain the desired leg drive and resulting speed is regular use required?

Good question - I asked that also and according to Coach James it's the type of tool that he foresaw using on an ongoing basis. I'm sure he'll chime in here.

Apr 28, 2014
I'm sure the coaches on here will post follow ups. We are getting ours tomorrow and will be sure to post updates. We plan on using it all lessons as we head to HS season that starts on 3/25. DD is consistent at 59-60 and can get to 61-62 now and then. We are looking for that added leg drive to get her to 61-63 consistently. Her PC feels that leg drive is keeping her from getting there so if this works as sold and she uses it correctly we hope to see that improvement.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019
Good question - I asked that also and according to Coach James it's the type of tool that he foresaw using on an ongoing basis. I'm sure he'll chime in here.

As with any drill that is teaching a new pattern or motion it takes plenty of reps to instill into the muscle memory. But it gives a one for one feel for what needs to happen on the mound in the game.
And because it trains linear drive the whole pitching motion will become more efficient.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I think the more a student used it, the better. As with all muscle memory motor skills, it takes lots of reps.
I had yet another girl post her new high speed tonight. 16 yr old Jr in HS... Has been stuck at 57/58 for about a year...hit 60 for the first time tonight! This was her 2nd time on the queen.
To answer RB's question about the regularity of use... It's been a permanent fixture on the pitching mat. Every girl uses it, every time she mounds up... The clicks are a constant reminder to get as much thrust as possible every pitch. When she does, I turn it up a 1/4 turn to add to the difficulty.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2014
I’m a bucket dad and purchased one after demoing it with Coach James this past weekend. What I liked about it is it provided me and my DD instant feedback. It tells her your not pushing hard enough. After she figure out shes pushing hard enough. I can challenge her by increasing spring tension and get more out of her. Also will be able to use for hitting to make sure she’s using her lower half. Once we get to use it more I will provide my findings.

Apr 28, 2014
QOTH arrived today and I'm impressed with the quality of the build. DD was on her way to hitting and I asked her to try it out a few times without a ball.
She pushed like normal but could not make it click. It was on the lowest setting. I see some work in her future :)

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
QOTH arrived today and I'm impressed with the quality of the build. DD was on her way to hitting and I asked her to try it out a few times without a ball.
She pushed like normal but could not make it click. It was on the lowest setting. I see some work in her future :)

How old is DD? 12/ 14/ 10U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00