power elbow and internal rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2011
So why cant you teach both to a beginning(10u) pitcher?Example my 10u daughter is just now finding the strike zone(a month or 2 out from game ready).When she goes to PC she is being taught power elbow(fast ball).When we work off the mound in the backyard i want her release fingers to the inside(fastball)

These seem to me(the novice)to be two separate pitches.The power elbow is slower w/dropping movement at the end of the pitch(6/12 rotation).The fingers to the inside is blazing fast w/no movement(5-11 rotation).

She is controlling the P.E better than I.R but that is all a hip closing to soon issue.She is on the Virge of correcting that thanks to the tips form this site.So can i stay the course w/both and consider them to different pitches(huge difference in speed and movement)?Or am i doing her a disservice in the long run??

Jun 20, 2010
I THINK he means that the "power elbow" is more like pushing the ball to the catcher, shoulder closed, pointing the elbow to the catcher...NOT IR. Thus, the fingers behind the ball creating the 6/12 spin....somewhat of a peel-drop, if you will.

whereas, in the backyard he works IR with her.

But that's just my take on it....

Just stick with what you are doing in the backyard and find someone who teaches IR.

May 18, 2009
I THINK he means that the "power elbow" is more like pushing the ball to the catcher, shoulder closed, pointing the elbow to the catcher...NOT IR. Thus, the fingers behind the ball creating the 6/12 spin....somewhat of a peel-drop, if you will.

whereas, in the backyard he works IR with her.

But that's just my take on it....

Just stick with what you are doing in the backyard and find someone who teaches IR.

How do you find someone that teaches internal rotation? I see the fastest pitchers in the world using IR but most coaches are still teaching old school. I was trying to teach older DD the 6/12 when we started. That's how everyone was teaching and how I was told to teach. I still see teachers doing that. Would you ask a perspective coach what method he teaches?

Oct 22, 2009
How do you find someone that teaches internal rotation? I see the fastest pitchers in the world using IR but most coaches are still teaching old school. I was trying to teach older DD the 6/12 when we started. That's how everyone was teaching and how I was told to teach. I still see teachers doing that. Would you ask a perspective coach what method he teaches?

fpmama, my suggestion would be to ask them, but then they might not know the term, so you could describe it for them and see what they say.
I teach IR but most of the instructors around my area do teach push the ball down, push the ball forward elbow to the catcher.
There are some ex-college pitchers doing some instructing and I can pretty much assure that they throw IR, but are not aware of it. So they may teach what they were taught not being fully aware that are not actually throwing that way anymore.

Jul 26, 2010
Just watch them pitch, watch their older students pitch. It's pretty easy to tell if their elbow is leading or not.

It's also not a difficult task to "reteach" IR to a pitcher who already pitches a different way. It's easier if the pitcher only knows FB and change, as the movement pitches are spun differently with IR. It took my daughter about 45 minutes to figure out how to throw IR (not perfect it) after reading the IR thread on these boards and going out in the backyard. It's not something where if the pitcher is taught differently at the beginning she's doomed for the rest of her life.

-W

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If the power elbow is pushing the ball then think of that as the foundation for the change up. She might have to modify it a bit later on to make the 2 motions look the same but 'the push' is how I teach the change up. I tell the girls 'Remember how you first learned to pitch, bowling or pushing the ball to the plate, that's the basic move and feel you need for the change up'. Works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish