any regrets switching from hello elbow to internal rotation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2019
I think I know what the general responses are going to be, but I'll ask anyways. DD is a second year 10U, and after about 1.5 years of "hello elbow" based lessons, searching for balls in poison ivy and getting my shins hammered, she's finally at the point where she can somewhat reliably throw strikes, and I daresay, start hitting spots (though she still hasn't been comfortable enough to actually throw to spots in a live game yet). My main concern, however, is speed. She's probably mid-to-high 30s from the pitching rubber, which seems to be on the slow side compared to other pitchers on the team who don't seem to have a problem clocking 40+.

With the end of the fall season, I've started her with a new instructor with internal rotation. Anecdotally, the pitches seem to be much faster, but they're all over the place, and it's almost back to square one. I guess I'm wondering how long this transition is going to take and if it's going to be worth the trouble. She's finally at the point where she's confident, but I'm wondering if I'm wrecking things for her by making the change.

Oct 26, 2019
The best time to start internal rotation would’ve been a year and a half ago when she started pitching. The second best time to start internal rotation is right now. You are giving your daughter a much higher ceiling in the long run if you do it correctly.

With that said she hast to want to make the transition herself because if she does not buy into it then it won’t matter what you do. I would make her a part of the decision making process to switch.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Are posture and brush emphasized with the new PC? One of the first things you should notice (along with natural speed,) is improved control.

Added: Speed and improved control is a byproduct of good posture, whip and brush. When first making the transition, don’t expect to be able to go all the way back to full distance and pitch with any control. Throw from whatever distance, motion and effort; as long as she can maintain good reps. Increase distance motion and effort as long as form is maintained.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018
transition will take lots of time. stop worrying about strikes or accuracy just mechanics. once the new mechanics are consistent accuracy will follow. took well over a year my daughter to switch completely and another year of hard work to get all her pitches down.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
please, you need to pay attention at her lessons because you will be her real coach. she needs to throw at least 2-3 time a week and you need to understand what's going on with mechanics. you also need to find a team where she will get at least a good inning of circle time per game. yes, you will see other pitchers with better placement because they are bowling, throwing batting practice if you will. everybody loves a 10U, 12U that throws strikes. especially batters. find a GOOD clinic and go, 6 hors, 8 hours away, I don't care. Go and you will be able to hit the next level of understanding and skill.
as others have related, it can be a long, and at times, frustrating journey. the rewards are worth it.

Nov 8, 2018
From second year 12u throwing HE , started transition at the end of that season till now first year 16u. Nope. Wouldn’t change a thing. Other than learning this stuff myself earlier and getting her started earlier. But can’t change the past. Just looking forward to an asskick spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2019
Thanks all for your advice. I guess my main concern right now is losing pitching time. She got a decent amount of time in the pitching circle in the fall due to a decent ability to get K's (have to give some credit to batters swinging when they shouldn't be), but with a new pitcher joining (honestly much better than DD) and the transition to new mechanics, I'm worried her pitching time will drop. I was hoping she could complete a transition by the spring, but it sounds based on the responses here that it would be an overly optimistic timeline. Her last pitching session I had her throwing to spots and there were maybe dozen where I didn't have to move my glove. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me that was a breakthrough moment for her and I hate to spoil it.

We're in the middle of trying out new instructors. Had a few sessions with one who was very nice, but didn't seem very "technical" in her approach. Nothing about hip brush or whip, at least not yet. There are highly regarded instructors I was thinking of trying, though located farther and much more expensive.

Apr 12, 2015
She may lose pitching time now at 10u, but she'll gain it by 12u and 14u by making the transition.

If you stay as she is, she'll get circle time at 10u, start losing it by 12u, and be batting practice by 14u.

Yes, the technique makes that much difference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying