POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Not trying to.

I do believe it’s chop down, just like the Bonds/Yelich drill. I even think its across as well. Down and across.

Lateral tilt is nothing? Seriously? What are those hitters doing in the stills I posted.. does that look standing tall to you? There are subtle changes in posture/lateral tilt to match pitch plane.

ever heard a pro talk about lateral tilt? Or just a bunch of gurus? Ever heard I gotta get ‘on top’ ? Or ‘inside’ ? That’s how they plane the pitch. Like I’ve said a 1000 times , with the hands. They don’t drop/tilt their shoulders to get on plane. Find me a pro that talks about lateral tilt. Josh D is the exception. But his path isn’t the same as BB or AP or MT. He’s very flat. Doesn’t hit .300 very often either.

View attachment 18308 View attachment 18309 View attachment 18311View attachment 18310

Several times you have mentioned dropping the back shoulder.. where did I say anything about dropping the back shoulder. I've said several times the back shoulder works down and front shoulder up.. it's not a forced action, it happens because the shoulders work around the spine.. and when you have good posture it allows the hitter to get behind and through the ball. How much the shoulders tilt depend on pitch location.

the shoulders work around the spine whether there’s good posture or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes some players stand tall, some players are more bent over in their stance and maintain that posture into heel plant.. the appropriate amount of lateral tilt is established to match the plane of the pitch. Those stills, animated gifs you posted are an exception.. hitters fooled by a pitch and they are relying on their hands. Most hitters are trying to get on plane with their shoulders, the path of the hands and bat align with the shoulders.

why so much talk about the hands if the shoulders do so much? A lot of swings have the barrel out of plane until past the back shoulder.

Shoulders follow the hands intent.... that sounds way too close to what some say about TTB.. just TTB and body will react appropriately. I believe in positioning your body to support the hands.. and if the in that position the hands can adjust easily.

hahaha. Now whose putting words in others mouths? 😆 Hands intent to be down to ! Intent can mean anything. Just bc you heard It from a guru doesn’t mean I mean the same thing. Side bend or as you call lateral tilt, is a farse just like TTB. I believe Epstein coined the lateral tilt crap, and like sheep folks flocked to it. TM took it to a whole other level. Sorry J you have been duped.

none of these guys drop the back shoulder when they practice swing. Why? Don’t they want to get ‘on plane’. Hands to the ball on top. That’s planing the pitch. If the body is balanced and in sync, it will adhere.

1592579831224.gif

[/QUOTE]
Chopping down is what JD Martinez did prior to his swing adjustment... after swing adjustment the hands still did the same thing, but he established better posture and sequence. JD more successful with the "chopping down " swing or the later?

Ever hear a pro talk about half of the concepts you talk about? With all due respect I agree with most of it. Some things are obvious.. lateral tilt, aligning shoulders with plane of pitch is one of them. In the Miggy vid you posted .. you can't see how his shoulders are adjusting. Again I keep referring to shoulders.. magic happens at the waist when establishing posture.. but of course other body parts support that "bend" or "non bend".

The shoulders will work around the spine period, I agree. And proper posture will dictate proper bat path. I don't just want my shoulders rotating around the spine.. I want them to stay behind and through the ball.. if not, then I am swinging around the ball and not through. Good luck hitting line drive missiles with that approach

Again the shoulders are a measuring stick.. it's not about them doing so much.

Why are you so fixated on dropping the back shoulder, I'm not talking about dropping the back shoulder. You need to explain why you think establishing posture has anything to do with the back shoulder. The plane of the shoulders(as a result of tilt at the waist) will drop or stay level depending on pitch location. Back shoulder only drops after launch... again depending on pitch location

Yep tilt, hands to the ball.. which normally is down because that's where the strike zone is... if no tilt then you are just chopping down on the ball.. AKA JD Martinez original swing

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
see my embedded answers.

I do believe it’s chop down, just like the Bonds/Yelich drill. I even think its across as well. Down and across.
The goal of the Bonds drill is to get keep the top hand above the ball.

the shoulders work around the spine whether there’s good posture or not. 🤷‍♂️
The front shoulder goes up and back to clear a path for the front shoulder. The rear shoulder follows the upper hand.
IMHO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When does Trout coil the back hip to the pitcher?

after gather. That’s not why it’s bad. Antonelli has no control of his body with that pattern. he hits from his back leg. Spin. No adjustability. Mike will get his body to a position of leverage while still ‘loaded’ then swing.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
after gather. That’s not why it’s bad. Antonelli has no control of his body with that pattern. he hits from his back leg. Spin. No adjustability. Mike will get his body to a position of leverage while still ‘loaded’ then swing.
Do you mean in conjunction with the working of his (Trout's) back elbow?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

the goal of the drill is to take the loop out of the swing. the shoulders follow the torsos rotation. They are apart of the torso. Try tilting your shoulders up before you swing. The shoulders are nothing functional in a swing.

edit: as far as the back shoulder following the top hand. Agreed. Live and independent hands.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not trying to.

Lateral tilt is nothing? Seriously? What are those hitters doing in the stills I posted.. does that look standing tall to you? There are subtle changes in posture/lateral tilt to match pitch plane.

ever heard a pro talk about lateral tilt? Or just a bunch of gurus? Ever heard I gotta get ‘on top’ ? Or ‘inside’ ? That’s how they plane the pitch. Like I’ve said a 1000 times , with the hands. They don’t drop/tilt their shoulders to get on plane. Find me a pro that talks about lateral tilt. Josh D is the exception. But his path isn’t the same as BB or AP or MT. He’s very flat. Doesn’t hit .300 very often either.

View attachment 18308 View attachment 18309 View attachment 18311View attachment 18310

Several times you have mentioned dropping the back shoulder.. where did I say anything about dropping the back shoulder. I've said several times the back shoulder works down and front shoulder up.. it's not a forced action, it happens because the shoulders work around the spine.. and when you have good posture it allows the hitter to get behind and through the ball. How much the shoulders tilt depend on pitch location.

the shoulders work around the spine whether there’s good posture or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes some players stand tall, some players are more bent over in their stance and maintain that posture into heel plant.. the appropriate amount of lateral tilt is established to match the plane of the pitch. Those stills, animated gifs you posted are an exception.. hitters fooled by a pitch and they are relying on their hands. Most hitters are trying to get on plane with their shoulders, the path of the hands and bat align with the shoulders.

why so much talk about the hands if the shoulders do so much? A lot of swings have the barrel out of plane until past the back shoulder.

Shoulders follow the hands intent.... that sounds way too close to what some say about TTB.. just TTB and body will react appropriately. I believe in positioning your body to support the hands.. and if the in that position the hands can adjust easily.

hahaha. Now whose putting words in others mouths? 😆 Hands intent to be down to ! Intent can mean anything. Just bc you heard It from a guru doesn’t mean I mean the same thing. Side bend or as you call lateral tilt, is a farse just like TTB. I believe Epstein coined the lateral tilt crap, and like sheep folks flocked to it. TM took it to a whole other level. Sorry J you have been duped.

none of these guys drop the back shoulder when they practice swing. Why? Don’t they want to get ‘on plane’. Hands to the ball on top. That’s planing the pitch. If the body is balanced and in sync, it will adhere.

1592579831224.gif
Chopping down is what JD Martinez did prior to his swing adjustment... after swing adjustment the hands still did the same thing, but he established better posture and sequence. JD more successful with the "chopping down " swing or the later?

Ever hear a pro talk about half of the concepts you talk about? With all due respect I agree with most of it. Some things are obvious.. lateral tilt, aligning shoulders with plane of pitch is one of them. In the Miggy vid you posted .. you can't see how his shoulders are adjusting. Again I keep referring to shoulders.. magic happens at the waist when establishing posture.. but of course other body parts support that "bend" or "non bend".

The shoulders will work around the spine period, I agree. And proper posture will dictate proper bat path. I don't just want my shoulders rotating around the spine.. I want them to stay behind and through the ball.. if not, then I am swinging around the ball and not through. Good luck hitting line drive missiles with that approach

Again the shoulders are a measuring stick.. it's not about them doing so much.

Why are you so fixated on dropping the back shoulder, I'm not talking about dropping the back shoulder. You need to explain why you think establishing posture has anything to do with the back shoulder. The plane of the shoulders(as a result of tilt at the waist) will drop or stay level depending on pitch location. Back shoulder only drops after launch... again depending on pitch location

Yep tilt, hands to the ball.. which normally is down because that's where the strike zone is... if no tilt then you are just chopping down on the ball.. AKA JD Martinez original swing
[/QUOTE]

If one is actively laterally tilting or side bending. That’s dropping the back shoulder. It’s should be a result of hand path.

heres Mike talking about some of that and how to fix the back shoulder drop and how lateral tilt is the culprit. The thought is level shoulders and ‘down to’ or ‘on top’. I know it’s not what you see. But neither was TTB. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1592590675124.gif

May 12, 2016
If one is actively laterally tilting or side bending. That’s dropping the back shoulder. It’s should be a result of hand path.

heres Mike talking about some of that and how to fix the back shoulder drop and how lateral tilt is the culprit. The thought is level shoulders and ‘down to’ or ‘on top’. I know it’s not what you see. But neither was TTB. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 18318

I don't think we are talking about the same thing and that's probably my fault. I shouldn't of used the term lateral tilt. I'm talking about bending at the waist.. like when you touch your toes. When you do that, it's not just your back shoulder that drops. Yes I can see how "lateral tilt" would drop your back shoulder. My point is posture will change depending on pitch location.. meaning the angle at your waist (chest over the toes).. and yes shoulders would still be level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1