POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
bGbJEFg.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Just saw a video of the gentleman in the video for the 1st time. He is very drill orientated.
bad.JPG

This guy is lost. Every time he strides to swing, he opens his hips. Completely backwards.

If you use his orange guard, this will PREVENT you from coiling inward as you stride forward.

My general rule is that most baseball drills are destructive.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Kind of feel like you are putting words in my mouth here W..

Not trying to.

I think I might have completely different definitions of "down to".. sounds to me like you actually believe stand tall and chop down on the ball.. I don't. Of course you can be down to with lateral tilt. If I stand with my chest over the plate and the pitch is down at the knees I can certainly drive down to.

I do believe it’s chop down, just like the Bonds/Yelich drill. I even think its across as well. Down and across.

Lateral tilt is nothing? Seriously? What are those hitters doing in the stills I posted.. does that look standing tall to you? There are subtle changes in posture/lateral tilt to match pitch plane.

ever heard a pro talk about lateral tilt? Or just a bunch of gurus? Ever heard I gotta get ‘on top’ ? Or ‘inside’ ? That’s how they plane the pitch. Like I’ve said a 1000 times , with the hands. They don’t drop/tilt their shoulders to get on plane. Find me a pro that talks about lateral tilt. Josh D is the exception. But his path isn’t the same as BB or AP or MT. He’s very flat. Doesn’t hit .300 very often either.

View attachment 18308 View attachment 18309 View attachment 18311View attachment 18310

Several times you have mentioned dropping the back shoulder.. where did I say anything about dropping the back shoulder. I've said several times the back shoulder works down and front shoulder up.. it's not a forced action, it happens because the shoulders work around the spine.. and when you have good posture it allows the hitter to get behind and through the ball. How much the shoulders tilt depend on pitch location.

the shoulders work around the spine whether there’s good posture or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes some players stand tall, some players are more bent over in their stance and maintain that posture into heel plant.. the appropriate amount of lateral tilt is established to match the plane of the pitch. Those stills, animated gifs you posted are an exception.. hitters fooled by a pitch and they are relying on their hands. Most hitters are trying to get on plane with their shoulders, the path of the hands and bat align with the shoulders.

why so much talk about the hands if the shoulders do so much? A lot of swings have the barrel out of plane until past the back shoulder.

Shoulders follow the hands intent.... that sounds way too close to what some say about TTB.. just TTB and body will react appropriately. I believe in positioning your body to support the hands.. and if the in that position the hands can adjust easily.

hahaha. Now whose putting words in others mouths? 😆 Hands intent to be down to ! Intent can mean anything. Just bc you heard It from a guru doesn’t mean I mean the same thing. Side bend or as you call lateral tilt, is a farse just like TTB. I believe Epstein coined the lateral tilt crap, and like sheep folks flocked to it. TM took it to a whole other level. Sorry J you have been duped.

none of these guys drop the back shoulder when they practice swing. Why? Don’t they want to get ‘on plane’. Hands to the ball on top. That’s planing the pitch. If the body is balanced and in sync, it will adhere.

1592579831224.gif

see my embedded answers.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
View attachment 18314

This guy is lost. Every time he strides to swing, he opens his hips. Completely backwards.

If you use his orange guard, this will PREVENT you from coiling inward as you stride forward.

My general rule is that most baseball drills are destructive.
Another Where's Waldo thread?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
99% of kids do not coil inward as they stride forward, and their swing is doomed. Time is your enemy.
Fast, I’ve been doing this drill consistently with my travel ball team and it’s helping fix a lot with bat path. I’ve noticed that a small knee lift helps with inward coil. Some players on my team don’t knee lift. They have more of a step forward and loose coil early. This inward coil needs to occur during the load and be maintained during the stride. What are some things a can do for the girls that simply step forward? Can we preset and ride it?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Trout is just stepping over a bucket of balls using his core to pick up his leg.

I phrase it as the ‘gather picks up the stride’. Same premise. I like the glutes (which are apart of the core to be felt) through the head to be activated. The muscles gotta work in order and together to get it right. Antonelli is looking for quad activation. Excellent way to get out of your legs early.